• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My altum angel

etu1002

Members
Hi everyone,
I am Eric. Although I have been to CCA meeting 2 or 3 times, I believe this is the first time I formally introduce myself on the forum. I moved here from Australia last year for work. I am so happy to be part of this community. Not only do I get to attend the fantastic meeting, I also met up with many awesome people and got some cool stuff (Thank you, Frank, Rachel, Sam and Li). Importantly, I could show my girlfriend I am actually pretty "normal".
Now back to fish, it has always been my dream to keep altum anglefish. They are like the holy grail for many angelfish lovers. They are extremely difficult to find back in Australia. Even if they are available, they usually come with a shocking price tag, around $200!! Although altum are still rare here, they are often available through online vendors during the season. Last year, I got three wild caught altum but quickly died on me within a week because my water was not right for them. This year, some guy in Canada successfully got his wild caught altum to breed and I was lucky enough to get 3 of his F1 altum 2 months ago. They went straight into my 40B community tank with my tetras and apistogramma. They have no problem with tap water in Bethesda and have grown from nickel size to almost 2 inches in 2 months. They are really as hardy as domestic angel!

About 2 weeks ago, I got another 4 wild caught altum and thought I was well-prepared for another challenge. I put them in a bare bottom 56g tank with 75% distilled and 25% tap water plus tons of oxygen. I also used peat and almond leaf to hold the pH around 6.

Despite all these effort, I still lost 2 within the first week. The other two are in stable condition now. I think they may have some minor infection that I am treating with melafix at the moment but they are very active and eat a lot. Hopefully I will have more pictures to update on their progress!

P.S. Can I renew my CCA membership online?

Ading522

Members
Welcome to the forum..officially? Lol.. Anyway. Nice fish you keep.. :) in regards to your membership you can do that online I think..there's a link somewhere on the website..:)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Eric,

The adults as well as the little guys look great. Altums are one of those fish that I would be a bit afraid to try to keep. Heard a lot of stories of nightmare acclimations and such. Sounds like you're certainly doing something right though! :)

etu1002

Members
Good luck with those altums and thanks for the introduction!

Here's the link to renew online: http://www.capitalcichlids.org/?pageid=membership

Matt

Thank you Matt, renewal was easy.

Hey Eric,

The adults as well as the little guys look great. Altums are one of those fish that I would be a bit afraid to try to keep. Heard a lot of stories of nightmare acclimations and such. Sounds like you're certainly doing something right though! :)

Hi Tony, both F1 and wild caught are still juvenile, under 2 inches. I was told under the right condition they can grow to 6 inches in body size and more than 12 inches in height. I think with the wild caught altum, the initial acclimation is difficult. Once they pass that stage, they are no different to domestic angel. F1 that were born and raised in tap water are very easy to keep.

Nice set up and fish there. Good luck getting your new fish settled in.

Is that a wild discus in your avatar?

YSS

Members
Very nice fish, something I would like to try after I succeed with altum.

Thanks. This guy used to be one of favorites. Nice wild discus can't be beat. I don't have the avatar fish anymore, but I have another very nice wild discus. I also have three wild Santa Isabella angels with my discus. Really like the wild angels. They are huge, too. :)

etu1002

Members
Thanks. This guy used to be one of favorites. Nice wild discus can't be beat. I don't have the avatar fish anymore, but I have another very nice wild discus. I also have three wild Santa Isabella angels with my discus. Really like the wild angels. They are huge, too. :)

Do you have any picture of your wild angels to share? What are your water parameters?

YSS

Members
Do you have any picture of your wild angels to share? What are your water parameters?

I use tap water. No additives. Here are a few full tank pics from several months ago. I don't have any recent close up shots.

woods1.jpg

woods2.jpg

photo1-1.jpg