• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Making a difference in the hobby

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I received an email the other day from the Pre-K teacher whose classroom has a 20l which I donated and maintain (thanks to Batfish, Frank Cowherd and Viktor for donating flora and fauna). Anyhow, the email included a photo of her students nose to glass as they observed the tank.

That got me wondering how fellow CCA/forum members have contributed to the future of our hobby. So, in addition to being a member of our awesome club and recruiting others to join, what have you done to help make a difference?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I havnt done this personally but an art teacher of mine and I got into reef keeping at the same time. I helped him setup his first reef and he helped me set up mine. I quickly discarded the reef because I couldnt afford it after a while but said teacher now has a 40 gallon reef, 65 gallon FOWLR tank, a few red bellied frogs, a king snake, and a tank full of guppies. Since he teaches 3rd-5th, he has tons of kids who are not to old to take them for grantid, but not too young to not understand a thing or two about them. Having a tank or other pet in a class room -in my opinion at least- can take the stress off the everyday life of a student and teach them some responsibility.

I love what you do in your classroom, Andrew, and how you've helped other teachers. I've not done anything, alas, for fish keeping but I do volunteer at two dogs rescues and one horse sanctuary!! :p

chriscoli

Administrator
When I moved to the DC area, I donated my three tanks to an elementary school classroom. I don't know what became of them, though....I hope they got setup and inspired someone.

I'm known at work as the go-to fish person for advice. I try to keep it reasonable and encourage sustainable behaviors without making people feel judged (no, you can't keep your Oscar in a 10 gallon forever). If I have extra tanks, and someone at work needs one for their kids, I bring it in and give it to them with as much extra stuff as I can spare. It all depends on what I've got laying around.

I also helped a friend set up their kids tank, and got them started with a few fish. I get frequent updates from them on how the fish are doing. Friends and family visit my house and the fish are always high on the list....I try to take time and talk to the kids about the fish.

I just keep looking for the little opportunities to encourage and educate.

zackcrack00

Members
I've gotten two younger kids, still 10-12 years old, into keeping fish. Together, they have around 6 tanks, ranging from 1-40 gallons.

I've also given out the websites for CCA and PVAS to customers at the pet store when they get fish or supplies. I've realized that barely anyone knows about this side of the hobby, the clubs and auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good topic, Andrew and Great Job, Zack!

Matt

I've gotten two younger kids, still 10-12 years old, into keeping fish. Together, they have around 6 tanks, ranging from 1-40 gallons.

I've also given out the websites for CCA and PVAS to customers at the pet store when they get fish or supplies. I've realized that barely anyone knows about this side of the hobby, the clubs and auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app