• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking like my reg BN spawned.

Cyianara69

Members
Ok, it looks like I have one of my regular BNs has been in a cave for a couple days now. All I basically see is his tail, when I shine a light into the cave, it looks like he's fanning something in there ... is it safe to assume that he has a spawn in there??

verbal

CCA Members
Sometimes you will see fanning before they spawn, but it is a sign they are getting ready if they haven't spawned yet.

Cyianara69

Members
Well I defnitely have baby BNs in the cave. It's in a community tank (5 BNs 5 Albino Corry Cats and 11 juvies angels), so should I pull the cave and put it in a breeder box. Shining a light into the cave, I can see them and they are a bigger than normal fry, should I just let nature take it's course and see what happens?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
They'll be fine. Mine bred regularly in a community tank. Many of the fry disappeared, but more than enough made it.

Last summer, I removed all hardscape in an attempt to round up what I thought were about a dozen BN fry. Found 48. Been selling them off at CCA ever since. The few remaining fry (now almost full grown) just spawned. Let this be a warning to you...

Blaise

verbal

CCA Members
I agree with Blaise on just letting nature take it's course. It is really easy to get overwhelmed with fry from Brown BN plecos. Even in your community tank you should get a few survivors.

Cyianara69

Members
Ok .. thanks for the advice ... Dad is starting to leave the cave, only for a moment and he's right back in .... think he's getting hungry ......

chriscoli

Administrator
Hey, Congrats! Yes....definitely easy to get overrun with fry. I've even had to take the spawning cave away from some of mine to get them to stop.

Cyianara69

Members
Thanks, I got a good look at the cave yesterday and there were about 20-30 fry in there. This morning, two of the fry were outside the cave, and two more were at the entrance that is until DAD come back :)

They are so skinny .......

Last edited: