• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Local Observances, National Local Fish Store Meet Up Day

Sonny Disposition

In case you forgot, THIS SATURDAY, July 13, is National Local Fish Store Meet Up Day (http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?p=321)

For Virginia:
Meet up at NOON at
Vienna Aquarium of Leesburg
301 Industrial Ct SE Leesburg, VA 20175
(703) 777-2133

Spend an hour or so touring the store, then go over to the

LaCocita Grill
210 Loudon St. SE
Leesburg

For Maryland:

Meet Up at 11:00 A.M. at
Congressional Aquarium
138 Congressional Lane
Rockville, MD 20852-1503

Browse for awhile (and maybe purchase something from their extensive rows of tanks) then drive over to:

Stained Glass Pub
12510 Layhill Rd Silver Spring, MD 20906

CCA President Tony H. will be there from noon to 3, conducting OFFICIAL CLUB BUSINESS, managing a club order.

Yours truly will be at the Leesburg location. But I've been to Congressional many, many times before, and can vouch for their extensive collection of tanks. IMHO, Congressional has the largest selection in Montgomery County and is definitely worth the visit, if you haven't been (or even if you have.)

All of us hate it when a local fish store closes. This is your chance to try to make a difference, by patronizing local businesses in these recession weary times.

Have fun everybody!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for organizing this, Bob. :)

Hope to see a few of you over at Stained Glass.

spazmattik

Members
Thanks for organizing :) very cool to have two locations for a little convenience to us virginians ;) we just might be able to make this. Has anyone been to vienna aquarium lately? I went several months ago but I think they were still fairly new to leeseburg and may have still been setting up because there were a lot of empty tanks. How's the stock these days? :D

Sonny Disposition

Probably not, no. But Congressional is a sponsor of the club, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone checks our board regularly. If not, then, I think it'll be a nice surprise for them. I've been going there for a long time.

Most recently, I bought a big male odessa barb from them to cross into my own stock. Periodically, they get odessas that are bigger and redder than most.

Do the people who run these fish stores know this is going down?

Sonny Disposition

I wish I could take credit for the Virginia meet up, but this is the brain child of former PVAS president and one of my personal role models, Sherry Mitchell. I've never been out that way, and am looking forward to the trip.

Thanks for organizing :) very cool to have two locations for a little convenience to us virginians ;) we just might be able to make this. Has anyone been to vienna aquarium lately? I went several months ago but I think they were still fairly new to leeseburg and may have still been setting up because there were a lot of empty tanks. How's the stock these days? :D

Greengirl

Members
Congressional is letting me bring my charity angels to sell in store while you guys are there tomorrow. Be sure to check them out and buy some to save the Chesapeake bay from overfishing, over crabbing, and reduce pollution.

Greengirl

Members
I am very dissappointed in everyone who didn't show up when they said they would. I thought our presidents would at least show up.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry to disappoint you Alexandra, but I was out of town on vacation this weekend. I thought I posted that up on one of these threads. May have been the Aquatic Clarity group buy thread...

spazmattik

Members
i made it up to leesburg but i was running a little late. had a birthday party from the night before and i was a little hung over and hurting lol. I think i made it up to vienna around 2. they had some nice geophagus but I couldnt find any pricing on them or half the other fish.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I am very dissappointed in everyone who didn't show up when they said they would. I thought our presidents would at least show up.

You're kidding, right?

Sorry Alexandra... you're absolutely correct. It's not like I had a shipment of 25 bags of fish to deal with or anything... some of which had to be unpacked, housed and repacked in the morning.... so I could get to over to Silver Spring by noon for distribution. :rolleyes:

I've only been planning and coordinating this for the last two months. Sorry you didn't realize I was involved in it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Sonny Disposition

OK, everybody, let's not fight. We're all friends here. Alexandra, I can understand your disappointment, but, sometimes, that's just how meet ups work out. It all depends on what things people have going on at the time. I've done a decent amount of organizing in the past, with my local meet ups, and from my previous involvement with NANFA. Whenever you're trying to mobilize people, there's a lot of luck involved. People have a lot going on in their lives these days, so it's sometimes tough to get them on board.

Your disappointment is understandable (I was a little disappointed too.) But you're only disappointed because you care about the club and the hobby, which is a good thing. I'm really glad you showed up for the meet up. I _really_ appreciate your effort and your trying to make it work out.

Tony and Jon are good leaders and we're lucky to have them-- Jon just happened to be away, and Tony was involved with the group buy. But he still took the time to coordinate with me, and gave a shout out to our plans, so he did what he could to help.

But even though the day was kind of a bust, I still got something out of it. Vienna Aquarium is a nice LFS. They've recently moved, and they're still getting set up-- there were still some glitches, like not pricing all the tanks. But, overall, I was impressed and I'm glad I took the trip out there, just the same. And Leesburg is a nice little town. (I've got to get out there again to try out that New Mexico Mexican Restaurant I saw.)

Here's a link to the cell phone pics I posted I Facebook, in case anyone is interested:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1501202037516.603447.696122515&type=1&theater

Alexandra, I'm interested in your impressions of Congressional and what you thought about their setup.

You're kidding, right?

Sorry Alexandra... you're absolutely correct. It's not like I had a shipment of 25 bags of fish to deal with or anything... some of which had to be unpacked, housed and repacked in the morning.... so I could get to over to Silver Spring by noon for distribution. :rolleyes:

I've only been planning and coordinating this for the last two months. Sorry you didn't realize I was involved in it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I usually have to work on the weekends the events are held especially in the summer. Hey Bob the link isn't working. Also whats up with the collecting trip? Are you still planning one? I'll keep an ear out.

Sonny Disposition

Hmmm...I think you have to log in to Facebook for the link to work. Facebook is funny sometimes. Do you have a Facebook account?

I forgot about the collecting trip, actually. But you work on the weekends? What's a good day for you?

I usually have to work on the weekends the events are held especially in the summer. Hey Bob the link isn't working. Also whats up with the collecting trip? Are you still planning one? I'll keep an ear out.

Forester

Members
When is there a collecting trip? I would love to go on one.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mrkillie

Members
Anyone that wants to make a day of shop-hopping is welcome to join the ACLC in their annual shop hop on July 27. Send Kurt Johnston and e-mail at kaj41354@comcast.net if you are interested. The shops that will be hit are in northern NJ, and I believe the NJAS folks have arranged discounts for the group members.

JerseyShopHop4.jpg