• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Little pests- egg eating slugs

Forester

Members
Planaria are ubiquitous in aquarium. Fry will pick on and eat planaria. I often remove bristlenose from my fry tank to allow planaria multiply so as to furnish live food for the fry. Bristlenose eggs are huge in comparison to planaria so it's hard to believe planaria will devour the eggs. Do you blame on the wrong suspect or you have the unusual type of vicious planaria.

They are definitely planaria based on what they look like. I think the reason they were able to eat the eggs was because there were hundreds of the planaria.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lkelly

Members
Planaria are ubiquitous in aquarium. Fry will pick on and eat planaria. I often remove bristlenose from my fry tank to allow planaria multiply so as to furnish live food for the fry. Bristlenose eggs are huge in comparison to planaria so it's hard to believe planaria will devour the eggs. Do you blame on the wrong suspect or you have the unusual type of vicious planaria.

To quote Dave Barry (well, he probably didn't say it but I will give him due credit), "Vicious Planaria" would make a great name for a rock band.

Here is one vicious planaria you don't want to bring into your tank.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...rian.ogv/Unidentified_planarian.ogv.480p.webm

Planaria eat living or dead small animals that they suck up with their muscular mouths. Digestive enzymes are secreted from the mouth to begin external digestion. The pharynx connects the mouth to the gastrovascular cavity. This structure branches throughout the body allowing nutrients from food to reach all extremities

verbal

CCA Members
Here is one vicious planaria you don't want to bring into your tank.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...rian.ogv/Unidentified_planarian.ogv.480p.webm

Planaria eat living or dead small animals that they suck up with their muscular mouths. Digestive enzymes are secreted from the mouth to begin external digestion. The pharynx connects the mouth to the gastrovascular cavity. This structure branches throughout the body allowing nutrients from food to reach all extremities

That thing might give Gerry Hoffman's leech a run for its money in the PVAS bowl show.

JLW

CCA Members
Virtually all of the "leeches" we get in our aquariums are planaria. :) Leeches are annelid worms, and have definite segmentation.