• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jewells spawned again...

After the first successful spawn I pulled the fry and placed them in a 10 gallon grow out and moved mom and dad into a 10 of their own. The Ac110 running on the 55 had a small leak so I siliconed it. In the couple of days it waited to dry the Jewells spawned again!

So, here they sit with their free swimming fry in the 10 gallon.

Jewell cichlid spawn free swimming: http://youtu.be/b2Wa4KXBC5Y

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Awesome I love jewels regardless of their bad rep. My big male spends a lot of time with the mbuna they seem to keep him in his place at least until we find him a new lady them he can be king

Was pretty calm until the female died.
Glad to see they reproduce like bunnies for everyone lol worse than cons

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Congrats on the spawn. Word of warning on repairs to an AC110 - I purchased a used filter that had a similar type repair on the side of the outflow. Being behind the tank and in a room that had carpet at the time, I had no idea that the filter had developed a slow drip. The water loss wasn't enough to notice the water level drop in the tank, but over a period of months, I had saturated the carpet and subfloor below the tank. I found the leak when I tore out the carpet in the room after cracking a 10 gallon tank and dumping it all over the floor. The $30 to get a new housing is worth the piece of mind for me going forward.

Congrats on the spawn. Word of warning on repairs to an AC110 - I purchased a used filter that had a similar type repair on the side of the outflow. Being behind the tank and in a room that had carpet at the time, I had no idea that the filter had developed a slow drip. The water loss wasn't enough to notice the water level drop in the tank, but over a period of months, I had saturated the carpet and subfloor below the tank. I found the leak when I tore out the carpet in the room after cracking a 10 gallon tank and dumping it all over the floor. The $30 to get a new housing is worth the piece of mind for me going forward.

I wasn't aware they sold housing kits separate. I'll have to look into it. I resealed the unit, sounds like the same kind of crack and leak as yours, but it still has a slow drip. My tanks are in my finished basement, no carpet...I have been keeping a towell back there and swap it out every few days.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Drs Foster and Smith used to sell just the housings. I haven't looked in a while, but that may be the place to start. Otherwise, a LFS may be able to order one for you, but it may be expensive.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd get a new filter (or a un-cracked used one)...

Matt

I wasn't aware they sold housing kits separate. I'll have to look into it. I resealed the unit, sounds like the same kind of crack and leak as yours, but it still has a slow drip. My tanks are in my finished basement, no carpet...I have been keeping a towell back there and swap it out every few days.