• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Java moss dying

Scorp1us

Members
I added some JM to my tank and it's slowly dying. Some of it is still green, but the brown is over taking it. I have another plant in there that went through a similar thing, where it did not thrive, but now it does.

Why would JM not thrive in a Malawi cichlid tank?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Maybe...

...it came from a tank with neutral or acid pH. Or it could have come from Matt.
:D

fishman13

Members
I added some JM to my tank and it's slowly dying. Some of it is still green, but the brown is over taking it. I have another plant in there that went through a similar thing, where it did not thrive, but now it does.

Why would JM not thrive in a Malawi cichlid tank?

The thing with mine is its not even growing its alive but not growing.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Patience grasshopper

It grows rather slowly even under the best of conditions. Look for lighter brighter green coloring on the filament tips nearest the light.

T

tug

Déjà vu

SeaChem Equlibrium (Fe and Mn as well as Ca/K/Mg/SO4)
about 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal tank once every week or two.

This greatly enhances the growth of the plants.

I would also add about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively once a week or two for a 20 gal tank. :eek:

I know adding KNO3 and KH2PO4 sounds like sacrilege but by adding 2-3 things once a week or two,
the plants do gain a lot. And you would only be adding about 5ppm of NO3 and 1.6ppm of PO4.

The plants will respond very well to this routine.
You can let the tank go for awhile and not dose to purge any excesses that might have built up over a month or two.

Shane

Members
Wow, I did not know Java moss could be killed. Four months ago I came across a large bag of Java moss that had been accidently packed (dry) in a box LAST summer. Nine months with no water and no light. I threw it in a 10 gallon tank and it now fills that tank to the brim. I have even heard of people freezing it and it coming back.
Place a bit in a jar in a sunny window and you will always have more than you need on hand.
-Shane

T

tug

Now that's an idea with a hint of truth to it.
Keep replacing the dead one in your tank with a new one. :D
[YT]OlNXKOChi8w[/YT]

T

tug

I realize for some the idea of adding fertilizer to there tanks is taboo, but if there are members who are interested, powder fertz are relatively cheap and a bulk purchase could be arranged. I know some of you are keeping bottles of seachem products out there, Tony. I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that they contain mostly water.