• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

java fern dying

Hawkman2000

Members
Cut off the worst leaves, scrub off any algae, dose with flourish excell, and maybe add a power-head with a venturi.

ddavila06

Members
i have had bad experience in a tank without dosing and extra care and stuff...try tying it to some wood or rock and placing in a place without direct light... mine with too much light just burned it..

Hawkman2000

Members
I started my java fern in a 29 with an eclipse lid (2xT8). 4 or 5 times in the past 10 years it took over my tank. When I cleaned it out I had enough to fill a five gallon bucket. I never used C02 or excell or anything.

Attaching it to a piece of wood is the best thing to do with java fern.

T

tug

Too much light.

Direct outdoor light is a lot of light, unlike two T8's. Brighter light = higher nutrient demand.
So, provide less light or more nutrients. If you dose excel (most plants can adapt so they can use Carbo/Excel as their Carbon uptake) there will be an increased demand/uptake of the other nutrient in the water column.

I use a modified form of EI dosing even for my low light tank but it means more frequent water changes. The easiest solution (we all like easy) is reduce the amount of light. :cool:

+1
Hawkman2000; said:
...maybe add a power-head with a venturi.

Andrew

Members
It's almost certainly a nutrient deficiency. Try doing small water changes regularly and/or adding a tiny bit of african cichlid salts periodically to boost magnesium and calcium.

T

tug

And

Most certainly CO2 is deficient. Water changes will provide around 30ppm of CO2. Plenty of Ca and Mg in tap water if you do large water changes at least once a week. So, frequent 50% water changes, 3x week for as long as you can stand it. :eek: Dose fertz and the JF will do better under the same lighting but with the higher levels of CO2. Still, it's a hassle.

Or, less light. Add something to boost GH if water changes are few and far in between, (Equilibrium has Fe and Mn as well as Ca/K/Mg/SO4 ). The other nutrients should take care of themselves, if you have fish well stocked and feed heavy/regularly.