• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jack Dempsey Acting Strange

Breezyod

Members
I added 2 fish to my tank today and plan on adding a few more on Wednesday and now my jack is hiding behind the filter and kinda just chilling there will he be okay? Anything I can do to help him out?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368208302.521019.jpg

Breezyod

Members
Looks to me like he is losing the territorial battle with the new fish. What kind did you add?

Well I know they are Africans. I never paned on getting the jack mom got it before I could stock the tank. But I have pics of the 2 new ones the black and blue is the one that is picking on he jack the yellow one is really mellow. I am planning on getting some peacocks Wednesday when the local store gets some in stock

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368209870.682561.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
The fish in the bottom picture is the problem. Mel. auratus are nearly always really aggressive!

Matt

Breezyod

Members
The fish in the bottom picture is the problem. Mel. auratus are nearly always really aggressive!

Matt

So chances are he won't ever chill out? I am worried about the jack he seems to be stressing and I definitely don't want this fish to stress out the peacocks I am going to get. I don't have another tank to put him in either. Any suggestions?

dogofwar

CCA Members
It will only get worse as it gets more and more aggressive.

Bring it back to the fishstore...

Matt

So chances are he won't ever chill out? I am worried about the jack he seems to be stressing and I definitely don't want this fish to stress out the peacocks I am going to get. I don't have another tank to put him in either. Any suggestions?

zackcrack00

Members
Looks like a Yellow Lab, and an Electric Blue Johanni. I vent the Johanni and if it looks like a male get two females, same with the Lab.

Breezyod

Members
Think I am going to return the electric blue he is nice looking but not worth having him stress out other fish so much. Will most fish stores take fish back or exchange them?

Hawkman2000

Members
A few problem here.

Aren't these types of Africans supposed to be in high ph water?

If so, that JD will never be happy if the ph is raised to the proper level.

Also, when that JD gest full size, it will probably destroy everything else in the tank.

Breezyod

Members
A few problem here.

Aren't these types of Africans supposed to be in high ph water?

If so, that JD will never be happy if the ph is raised to the proper level.

Also, when that JD gest full size, it will probably destroy everything else in the tank.

I thought that they ere ranjit the same for ph and water temp but I am not sure. I was going to trade him off when he got larger.

Beeman

Members
Generally(never) recommended to group New World with Old World fish. :eek: Just not natural. Yes you may get away with it, but kind of like putting goldfish and guppies and, well, salt-water fish together! Better to do a little research, and find what species naturally, regionally, go together. Right now you have two aggressive species that nature never intended to be neighbors, or friends, or ever know that the other existed!

Breezyod

Members
Generally(never) recommended to group New World with Old World fish. :eek: Just not natural. Yes you may get away with it, but kind of like putting goldfish and guppies and, well, salt-water fish together! Better to do a little research, and find what species naturally, regionally, go together. Right now you have two aggressive species that nature never intended to be neighbors, or friends, or ever know that the other existed!

I didn't intend to was put in tank without my knowledge the jack was anyway.

Breezyod

Members
Take the Electric Blue Johanni back and trade him in as he is going to beat the Dempsey to death, then he is going to do the same to the Peacoks.
I will do so tomorrow thank you for the info until then I am keeping a blanket on the tank with lights off. Noticed when I do this the fish that is beating up on the jack goes under the live rock and the jack can roam around and be ok. Thank you for the info.

Breezyod

Members
I think that "electric blue johanni" is actual an Mel. auratus. Not that it really matters...

Matt

Sorry I am really new to this trying to learn, hopefully I will catch up on what all the fish are called soon since I love browsing these forums also question how can I tell the difference between a yellow lab male and female? I think that's what it's called I will post pix just in car

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368318704.385255.jpg