• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is my Oscar dying

rich4297

Members
When I came home today he was just laying on the gravel. All other fish are fine. I fed him some feeders on Saturday and fasted Sunday. Today he wouldn't eat all other fish ate. Also most of the fish ate the feeders too. I did add an extra light on Saturday I don't know if he's just stressed or sick. Is there any signs to look for. He is at least double the size of all the other fish so I don't think he's being picked on he rules the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1352760083.847686.jpg

D-money

Members
i would get everyone off feeders. Pellets are much healthier for your fish...try NLS or Hikari. Oscar do sulk sometimes and just lay around. Did you check your water conditions?

turfboss

Members
Oscars have personality and if you changed something they may just be "being Oscars" - on the other hand if you have been feeding the same foods and he (it?) has been eating and now seems really reticent - then you may well have some problem - check your water parameters and do a major (30-50%) water change just to be on the safe side.

rich4297

Members
i would get everyone off feeders. Pellets are much healthier for your fish...try NLS or Hikari. Oscar do sulk sometimes and just lay around. Did you check your water conditions?

I'm trying but also want to beef up the datnoid he's still small. I don't want to starve him and and the other fish get bigger than they already are. I heard they can starve for a month before they'll eat pellets.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Definitely stop feeding with feeder fish from the pet store. They are most likely diseased and unhealthy and aren't adding much nutrition for your fish. Pellets are a much better choice, along with an occasional treat of earthworms or other frozen foods.

Keep an eye on the oscar and don't feed for a couple days. It may just be sulking but could have something to do with the poor diet. Good luck.

rich4297

Members
The diet for the Oscar and other cichlids is 90% hikari pellets 10% earthworms black worms and frozen blood worms. I've only used feeders in the last two months maybe 3 or 4 times only because the datnoid won't eat anything else. He is smaller and not as aggressive as the cichlids so I didn't want to risk him not growing because they are growing like weeds. I do agree no feeders anymore. I get scared every time I put them in the tank. Thanks for the help everyone.

If your worried about the datinoid I would catch him and isolate him back up to health. Feeders are never a good diet for any fish. If you ever need to beef up a fish then just isolate them and figure what caused them to get that way. Could be he is bullied, not having the proper environment, or to much aggression when it comes to food as some fish are more passive.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
with him not eating, an antiparasitic is difficult. Preferred method would be mediated food. You can do water column dosing, but without any specific symptoms it is a crapshoot at best. Do you have a qt tank?

mscichlid

Founder
One thing that I like to do when feeding fry or feeders to the fish that like that, is to gut load the feeders with medicated food before feeding them to fish that eat them.

QT him in a 20 gal. Use a seeded sponge filter or filter box; aerate high. Raise temp and salt him per gallon.