• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ideas for finding a bird a new home?????

I_love_dojos

Members
Hello,

My mom has a 2-3 year old Senegal parrot, Cocoa, that she can no longer care for. :( My mom is 76 and in poor health. She asked me to help her find him a new home. (I can't take him, as I have 6 cats who would enjoy having fresh poultry for dinner :eek:) We have contacted several bird rescues, and they either don't have room for him or don't respond to our emails and phone calls. :( I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can find Cocoa a new home. I do NOT want to list him on Craigslist, etc. I want him to find a PERMANENT home where he will be loved and well cared for for the rest of his days, which will likely be a long time, as he is only 2-3 years old!

A little about Cocoa: My mom has had Cocoa about a year and a half. She loves him dearly. He says a few words - "hi" and "hello". He also says "hi" when you enter her condo and will continue to tell you "hi" until you acknowledge him. He loves to have his head scratched and will take his foot and scratch his head to signal that he wants you to scratch his head. He does bite sometimes, which is the main reason why my mom can no longer care for him. He usually doesn't bite -- just sometimes, when he gets in a mood. He would NOT be good for a home with children. He needs a home with someone who has A LOT of patience and love and experience with birds with behavioral issues. I am sure that with the right person spending a lot of time working with him, Cocoa would stop the biting. I really don't want to take him to the animal shelter, as I am afraid they will euthanize him due to his biting. I really want to find him a good, solid, loving permanent home.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have tried Phoenix Landing and Wilson's Parrot Foundation, among other places.

Thank you in advance for any advice! I apologize for the long post!

Melody

Becca

Members
See if some of your local vet offices will list him. Many vet's offices have a bird lover or two who'd be happy to take a parrot off your hands.

I'll someday be in the same boat with my mom's blue and gold who is EXTREMELY LOUD and gets in a bitey mood at least once a day.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a great little bird.

With my dogs, Cocoa would have a heart attack. :s

Good luck!

I_love_dojos

Members
Thank you both for the feedback.

Becca, checking with the vet's office is a great idea!

Tony, if those are your dogs in the photo, I am sure Cocoa probably would have a heart attack! Although, I am sure they are lovely dogs:)

There's also a bird sanctuary in Poolesville run by Buddhists. I can't think of the name but you should be able to google it. Starts with a G as I recall . ..

Also, there's a zoo down by Thurmont area that used to have a whole flock of birds that I think were previous pets. Might be another option.