• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I want to breed something but I don't know what...

I've got a tank that's pretty empty so I've decided I want to try and breed something. I'm just not sure what right now. I was thinking of ordering the following from cichlid connection on MFK but I'm open to suggestions since my fry would most likely be donated to the CCA. What's a cichlid that's pretty high in demand or has a constant demand? What would you guys like to see more of at the meets/auctions?

Here's a list of cichlids I was thinking of:
Amphilophus lyonsi
Cichlasoma bocourti
Herichthys labridens
Herichthys bartoni
Vieja Synspila

I was thinking two or three species from that list. I'm hoping this would help motivate me to go to meets :p Any and all input is greatly appreciated! :D

minifoot77

Members
those fish are all pretty big but he you are set on them check out ira at the wish list on mfk tell him caleb sent you :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

haha yeah, i like bigger fish...My gf hates little fish too so she won't let me have small fish....

I want to order from IRA but i'm not sure what he has in stock. his list on mfk is old i think.

I'm open to suggestions for smaller cichlids as well.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
IRA'S # IS 347-865-1984....GIVE HIM A CALL. I ALSO KNOW THAT IF HE DOESNT HAVE IT HE CAN STILL GET IT. NICE PERSON TO DEAL WITH IMO.

The Yellow Labridens are a pretty good fish to breed. Not only are they endangered in the wild, but they are incredibly colorful when breeding. A bag of 6 fry brought up by Rusty Wessell a couple of years ago went for $40 at our meeting auction.
Andy

mscichlid

Founder
Fish popularity ebbs and flows; what's hot today may not be so hot the next month. I say go with your gut and breed a species that appeals to you. The satisfaction and reward is much greater than trying to meet the supply and demand tastes of fickle fish geeks, (er, people :) )

mscichlid

Founder
The Yellow Labridens are a pretty good fish to breed. Not only are they endangered in the wild, but they are incredibly colorful when breeding. A bag of 6 fry brought up by Rusty Wessell a couple of years ago went for $40 at our meeting auction.
Andy

That doesn't sound too bad either! :) But the two factors you have to look at that incident was two years ago and the fish came from Rusty.

Fish popularity ebbs and flows; what's hot today may not be so hot the next month. I say go with your gut and breed a species that appeals to you. The satisfaction and reward is much greater than trying to meet the supply and demand tastes of fickle fish geeks, (er, people :) )

Totally agree! That's why I'm having such a hard time choosing...so many great looking species so few tanks....

I thought it'd be nice to breed "endangered" or "threatened" species but it has to be something I like too.

I love the breeding colors of the yellow labridens but man, some pix of them in their normal dress is kinda ugly....

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think you should breed cichlasoma atromaculatus. They were only recently reintroduced into the hobby and at the moment are not readily available in lfs. They are said to breed like a festae.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think you should breed cichlasoma atromaculatus. They were only recently reintroduced into the hobby and at the moment are not readily available in lfs. They are said to breed like a festae.

Good idea. I'd love to try something like that if I had the room and the big $$$ to get the breeders.