• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I love Angelfish

Greengirl

Members
Hi there, I'm Alexandra and I just joined Capital Cichlids today. My goal is to connect with fellow fish lovers and hopefully broaden my cichlid knowledge past Angel fish. I have three tanks. One is filled with a mated pair of angels, some rainbows, some tetras, and a black ghost knife. I have a tiny rehab tank, and another 36 gallon I plan to make a cichlid tank but right now it is a growing tank for 5 juvenile angels of several breeds. I look forward to everyone's advice and friendship.

Beeman

Members
Welcome to CCA Alexandra. I am also a big fan of Angels, as I think even individually, they make a great base for a community tank. Jump in with any inquiry. Many knowledgeable folks here

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum, Alexandra. It was great meeting you on Saturday. Definitely try to make it to the convention in March. Will be lots of good folks, talks and fish to buy! :)

Greengirl

Members
Thank you everyone for the warm words of welcome. I look forward to getting to know you all and seeing you at the Aquamania. I plan to volunteer there.

Does anyone know what kinds of other cichlids get along best with Angels? My 36 gallon tank seems kind of empty.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd worry about trying to keep other cichlids in a 36 with angels, but it really depends on the temperament of your angels. I had some angels in a 55 with Bolivian Rams, and the Rams did not seem to be all that happy. Once I moved the angels, the Rams started spawning.

If your angels are low key, it might be possible to add a cichlid pair. You'd probably want cichlids that are mellow and tolerate warmer temperatures. What temperature is your tank?

A pair of German Rams might work, but might not, again depending on the temperament. A pair of Rainbow cichlids might work, but if both the angels and the Rainbows spawned, as they are wont to do, the tank might be pretty tense.

Greengirl

Members
I wasn't sure at first what species I would use. I am keeping my mated pair in the 45 gallon with other community fish. It is the 5 juveniles I would like to grow out and raise with some other fish. They are pretty calm fish and get along well together. My tanks are kept at the high 70s to 80 degrees. They like it warm.

I have recently been looking at german rams a lot. I think they are so beautiful. But I know they are PH sensitive and mastering the discus buffer is not always as exact a science as it says on the bottle. I was thinking of doing a two species tank: the angels, and just one more breed of fish...and one to keep the place clean. Could the rams be the second species? They don't get too big do they?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Rams don't get too big, and I believe their water/temperature requirements are very similar to angels. So it might work, but the two species might clash. I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can give you the benefit of their experience.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Depends on your angels. I have a pair of angels in a heavily planted 75g tank with a trio of keyhole cichlids and everyone gets a long fine. They do get territorial when spawning and chase each other when each set ventures into the others territory, but that's all they do. No damage between the two groups.

Arlene

Greengirl

Members
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Depends on your angels. I have a pair of angels in a heavily planted 75g tank with a trio of keyhole cichlids and everyone gets a long fine. They do get territorial when spawning and chase each other when each set ventures into the others territory, but that's all they do. No damage between the two groups.

Arlene

Thanks for the info. I have had experience with angels and some random community fish like rainbow sharks and clown loaches and glass cats. They also all got along great. Maybe I am lucky with the angels I pick. I always buy them small and have them grow up with the other fish, so maybe they get used to the company.

verbal

CCA Members
I think Rams would be fine with grow out angels. A pair might be an issue in the relatively small tank. If you have to combine with an Angel pair in that tank, I think apistos may be your best bet.

Greengirl

Members
I think Rams would be fine with grow out angels. A pair might be an issue in the relatively small tank. If you have to combine with an Angel pair in that tank, I think apistos may be your best bet.

Wow, the Apistos look beautiful. Are they on the relatively friendly side of cichlids? Are they easy to come by at the local fish stores?