• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Holding Ruby Green -- Now what?????

Well, Matt, one of my female ruby greens is holding. Darn. I was sort of hoping my boy wouldn't be into the ladies . . . I get so freaked out with the whole holding/baby thing!!! If she spits in the tank, do I assume that they all get eaten? (I do have four lucippinis, but they are pretty small.) Should I try to catch her and put her in a small QT tank (but she'd be by herself)?

I don't really need/want fry, but once they are spit, I usually try to give them a fighting chance. I used a "fry pile" once in my other tank and raised two baby labs to maturity that way . . .

mrkillie

Members
If you have plenty of hiding places for them in the tank, let them be if you don't want to raise a lot of fry. Some of the fry will likely survive if there is cover, it's just like in the lake. I found a 1-inch Tropheus in my 100 gal tank a couple months ago - just appeared!

Joel

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great news!

An easy way would be to get a breeder net and separate the female. When she spits, remove her and leave the babies in the net.

I usually let the holding females live in the main tank for 2-3 weeks (until I can see eyes)...and then catch them and strip them into a plastic cup. I dump the babies into a breeder net in one of my fry grow out tanks and begin feeding the babies ground flake, golden pearls, etc.

I try to give the female a day or two to recover in a breeder net in the main tank...before re-introducing her during a tank cleaning / water change...

Matt

Thanks Matt. The likelihood of me being able to catch her in this relatively small tank with a large pile of rocks that I'd like to NOT knock over is pretty small -- now that I think about it!!!!!! Although I'm still on the hunt for a larger tank. If I get one, then I can dismantle this one and catch her. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to leave her be. It's only been a few days so I guess I have some time. And given this is her first time (and with the way she's been staring at the food), she may not "come to term" with this one . . .