• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Hello guys! Im new. Im starting a 75 gallon cichlid tank. All I have is the tank. starting from scratch after my turtle tank. I need all the advice I can get. Please feel free to school me, I actually want it. I also need just about everything... Should I attend the BFD before buying things?

FishEggs

Yes. Its a great fun event. I would definitely recommend going. You can get great deals on great quality fish and equipment not available anywhere else. The speakers and lectures are great and very informative. Meeting and talking to new people is easy since everyone has something in common.

What to do before buying anything though is lots of research. Figure out what you want to keep, old world or new world cichlids? Species only for breeding or all male show tank? Real plants or fake or none at all since the fish you want will destroy them anyway?
The BFD is great exposure to all different types of fish and tanks so it's worth going even not knowing what direction you want to go.

It's sometimes very hard to do with all the excitement of starting a new project and the event but don't rush it. Buying before you're ready can get expensive and can be fatal to the fish. Patience and research is the best first step IMHO.

Last edited:

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yes. Its a great fun event. I would definitely recommend going. You can get great deals on great quality fish and equipment not available anywhere else. The speakers and lectures are great and very informative. Meeting and talking to new people is easy since everyone has something in common.

What to do before buying anything though is lots of research. Figure out what you want to keep, old world or new world cichlids? Species only for breeding or all male show tank? Real plants or fake or none at all since the fish you want will destroy them anyway?
The BFD is great exposure to all different types of fish and tanks so it's worth going even not knowing what direction you want to go.

It's sometimes very hard to do with all the excitement of starting a new project and the event but don't rush it. Buying before you're ready can get expensive and can be fatal to the fish. Patience and research is the best first step IMHO.

Agreed.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member

YOU said fish. How can I purchase fish without an established tank

zendog

Welcome!

I set up new tanks all the time and put fish in right away by always having extra fully cycled sponge filters in my various tanks. Sometimes I just move one of the extra ready-to-go sponge filters into the tank and sometimes I put a new sponge filter (or even a HOB like an Aquaclear) in the tank and just squeeze out an existing filter in the new tank's water.

When you squeeze out the cycled media in the tank all the stuff from those "squeezin's" gets trapped in the new filter and makes the media ready to go. The tank may be a bit cloudy for a day or two, but it clears up remarkably fast.

Now I wouldn't necessarily overload a tank doing this, since an established tank benefits from the all of the bacteria on the surface of the glass, the substrate and any plants also contribute to the bioload a tank can handle, but for a reasonable number of fish it works great.

So depending on where you live there may be a member nearby who could help you out getting a tank jump started with either cycled media or a nice bucket of water from an established tank that they've rinsed some established media in. I'm in Arlington in case you're nearby...

Do you have any idea what type of fish you'd like to keep?

FishEggs

I also warned against buying before being ready. I don't know what position you are in, regarding being ready to purchase fish. There are still 2 weeks until the event and maybe you will be ready by then. I was trying to give you as much info about the event, since you inferred interest in going, that I could so you could decide whether it is worth it for you to go. Its been an annual event and as far as I know it will go on next year too, so going this year will give you a good idea on what opportunities are available next time.

chriscoli

Administrator
Welcome! Come to the BFD and meet people. Volunteering to help at the event is also a great way to get to know folks. Ask a lot of questions at the event, at the meetings, and on the forum. We've got a lot of really helpful people!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Don't worry, be ready. Uh, to add fish.

Set the tank up with water, declor, add the gravel or sand you want, get a filter or two and add a light and lid.

Get some filter squeezings as said above to cycle quickly. or feed a little food to the tank over a week or two to cycle without fish. Add one or two fish to help start if you just go the feeding route. Add more fish as time goes by.

Pool filter sand is basically prewashed, available from swimming pool supply places and looks good. Add some argonite or calcium carbonate rocks if you want the pH to be high, like for Rift Lake cichlids.

I recommend two filters on all large tanks. You can clean one while the other is still working.

I recommend two heaters. Two 100 watt heaters on a 75 gallon ought to be fine. If either fails off, the other should be good until you see what is going on. If one fails on, you also should have time to see the temperature rise and do something about it.

I do not like lids but lids do keep moisture out of your living space and help prevent jumpers.

A really nice light or two lights are in order to make the tank look great.

Always include bristle nose catfish in your selection of fish. They will keep the glass clean so you will not have to clean it except once in a while to get tough algae off. Probably 2 or 3 in a 75. But they need places to hide like rocks or driftwood. They clean at night mainly.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Welcome! Come to the BFD and meet people. Volunteering to help at the event is also a great way to get to know folks. Ask a lot of questions at the event, at the meetings, and on the forum. We've got a lot of really helpful people!
How do I volunteer?

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
How do I volunteer?