• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Here's one for you new world experts.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Definitely looks amphilophus to me. Hard to say exact species. Many of the wild caught specimens that I have seen of both citrenellum and labiatus have some pretty remarkable coloration (Rapps has some cool pictures on his website). Without collection location, it be hard to determine exactly which species. If it is a tank raised specimen, unless you know where it comes from, there is a good chance that it has both citrenellum and labiatus in its heritage.

There are a lot of good stickys in the MFK New World Section about amphilophus and exactly how many distinct species there are.

Any chance its herichthys? Someone up there thinks so. Personallt i don't see it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I see what looks like something from the old vieja complex (slope of head, rays on tail, blue eye) crossed with amphilophus.

rich_one

Members
Nah... me personally, can't say I see herichthys. I think someone might be thinking about the tuxedos... but that is not a bartoni, imo.

-Rich

catemaco fenestratus

It looks like a Vieja fenestratus from Lago Catemaco. This is the only volcanic lake where a pink and white form of fenestratus is found. The one in the pic is going through a peeling process, similar to Red Devil, so the final color is unknown. Here are pics of mine which has completed the peeling process and turned from black,pink and white into nearly all white. Similar to RD, the peeling process is a gradual losing of the pigmentation as the fish mature, and the final color is highly variable.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Not a pure fish, looks vieja x midas complex or even blood parrot.

Vieja synspillum + Midas = Blood Parrot. BP has crooked mouth. The OP pic has normal mouth. So I don't think it is a hybrid. Pink and piebald Catamaco fene are highly variable in color pattern before peeling.

Thai

Members
Vieja synspillum + Midas = Blood Parrot. BP has crooked mouth. The OP pic has normal mouth. So I don't think it is a hybrid. Pink and piebald Catamaco fene are highly variable in color pattern before peeling.

Not all veija x midas come out like blood parrots.....some can look like rose queens and some can look like mid devils and some may look like BPs...there is not set outcome...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've kept the catemacos, and the body shape and head shape on the OP's picture don't match IME. I still stick with a unique colored amphilophus.