• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help me pick a cichlid group for my new aquarium

Here's my setup:
1) 42"L X 24"W X 22" (that's not a typo, it's a custom tank) about 96gals.
2) Sand substrate
3) Two large pieces of driftwood with several anubias and a few java fern plants attached. Might add java moss too.
4) Only plants in the substrate is 1 crypt and a few dwarf sags (root tabs inserted under them)
5) Medium low lighting
6) It's connected to a 2nd heavily planted tank of same volume.
7) 1 school of 20 Tetra Hyphesso. bentosi (like bleeding hearts but a little smaller)
8) 1 school of 6 roseline sharks (Sahyadria denisonii)
Maybe's
> small school or hatchet fish
> several Sterbai cories
Fish I've thought about:
1) 6 - 7 Angelfish (cannot afford Altums)
2) 5 - 6 smaller Geophagus (thinking I'd need a bigger tank so maybe it's a no-no)
3) 6 Apistogrammas (not rams) (thinking they're be lost in there, it's supposed to be a show tank).
No's:
Discus
Something that will eat the tetras
African rift lake cichlids

Suggestions?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Most cichlids of any size will eventually make a snack out of the tetras. I'd stick to apistos or maybe one of the smaller acara species, like nannacara anomala.

Mwildgruber

Members
If you go with angelfish the max should be 6 for that size tank... I have 8 adalts in my 150 planted with lots of tetras, neons and rummy noses they have never had a problem togather.