• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heh - GBR Spawned

Cyianara69

Members
Well, I thought that GBRs weren't suppose to spawn in hard water ... FFX county water is always 180+ on my API test but look at what I found yesterday when I got home from work :)

GBR_Spawn_10-24012.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Yep, mine did that, too. Sadly, I didn't know they had spawned and disturbed their tank (well, actually, I moved them and all of their decorations to a new tank) and by the next morning all the eggs are gone. I'll be interested to know if the eggs will hatch in hard water.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
They will spawn, obviously. I raise a number of batches of GR rams at pH 7.8 and moderately hard water with limited success. At lower pH and softer water there is a higher survival rate of fry.

killakacti

Members
my water is moderatly hard, and both pairs that I had gotten over the weekend from Frank have already spawned I was suprised as well.
Sent from my ADR8995 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cyianara69

Members
I do have a question .... if I do manage to get some fry from this spawn, will I need to move the cories and neon tetras out of the tank to ensure survival of the fry?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Just guessing, since I've not bred German rams, but based on my experience with other fry, I'd say the tetras are likely to be a problem. Not so sure about the corydoras.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I always move the eggs to a separate tank to hatch and raise the fry. I have raised a few batches in a ten gallon tank with the parents and a dither fish to make the parents attentive and bring out their maternal instincts.
The usual problem is what the fry eat. In a big tank with lots of plants and gravel the fry can usually find plenty to eat. They need microorganisms like paramecium and rotifers to eat for the first few days until they grow big enough for microworms and baby brine shrimp. A pile of java moss usually has a lot of these organisms in it.

Cyianara69

Members
Hmmm .. no java moss in my tank, but other sort of plants, hopefully that will enough to get them to free swimming stage. I kind of looking forward to this afternoon to see if they have been move to the hole/pit that parents were working on last week .... Hopefully some will make it to the free swimming stage as I didn't see any white eggs last night.

I'm in the process of reading up and watching on youtube of starting a BBS hatchery. How long do the baby brine shrimp last in the hatchery if you put the air back in?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Until they are free swimming they do not eat but get their nutrition from their egg sac.
Once free swimming they search out microorganisms to eat.

You should leave a light on at night so the parents can see and protect the fry at night.

Brine shrimp is good nutrition only when first hatched because they also have an egg sac that is high in nutrition. But within 20 hours they consume this egg sac and are not as nutritious as they were when first hatched. Most aquarists hatch BBS daily and fed them to their fry just after they are hatched. With the right set up and right temperature, BB eggs hatch in 24 hours.

GB rams will not be able to take BBS for a day or two after becoming free swimming. They are too small to do so until they grow a bit.