• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gymno Labiatus Yerbalito spawned

MonteSS

Members
The eggs were layed by the Gymno, covered with sand and she was guarding them. The Oblongum began eating them and cleared the sand away and ate them all. He would not let her near them to gather them up.

The Oblongum are leaving soon anyway, and I'm sure she will spawn again.

Thanks...Bill

toddnbecka

Members
Best to put the spawning pair in a 20 or 29 by themselves, then move them back after the fry are free-swimming. They'll certainly spawn again.
The female gymnogeo will take the eggs in her mouth...
Are the Gymnogeophagus delayed mouthbrooders? I thought they were simply substrate spawners. I have 4 Catalan and 8 Norte coming along and showing some color, they should be pairing off and spawning soon. Planning to move some fish around this weekend and put the Norte's into a 75. The oblongum pair will be moved into a 29 of their own.

Jumbie

Members
The eggs were layed by the Gymno, covered with sand and she was guarding them. The Oblongum began eating them and cleared the sand away and ate them all. He would not let her near them to gather them up.

The Oblongum are leaving soon anyway, and I'm sure she will spawn again.

Thanks...Bill

Man I really hate it when my fish do that, good luck on the next spwan.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Gymnogenys and labiatus are mouthbrooders... The rhabdotus types are substrate spawners ... Doesn't really make sense that they're all in the same genus...at least to me

Matt

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Ok, got it. My experience with mouthbrooders has been all Arican, so I didn't realize she buried the eggs and thats what he was digging up. What is the advantage to being a delayed mouthbrooder?