• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Grow out tank

Acpape0

Members
Just picked up a 20 gallon high tank. To use as a grow out / nursery tank for my cichlid fry. I put on a emperor 400 (lower flow) and it came with sand. It came with a bunch of decorations and I was thinking about pulling all the decorations out. Is sand a good substrate for a nursery or should I swap with gravel?
Any suggestions for a tank of this purpose?
So this tank came with residents that will need to be relocated but that is a different thread .

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398039559.625779.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I prefer to have my grow out tanks heavily aquascaped. In my experience, it gives the fry more security with plenty of places to hide. There is also more surface area for algae and micro organisms to grow on for the fry to graze on during the day.

Acpape0

Members
How do you buffer the ph in your grow out tanks? I have Florida Cora in my sump on my show tank and iced in the gravel on my fry tank but this one has sand and I am not looking to buy holey rock (to much $)
Could I just mix in with sand or is that a bad idea ?

Acpape0

Members
Growing more for fun..may keep some but not most. I would give them all away but the wife will yell. So anything that is born at my house I will get rid of for $1 or less

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think that food and water quality are more important than tank size, to an extent, when talking about grow out tanks. Although I would agree that a bigger tank is always better, you can get good growth with appropriate feedings and lots of water changes.

Acpape0

Members
What kind of feeding schedule do you use? I was always a less is more kind of person, but I am pretty sure that would be counter productive in this situation

rsretep

Members
I use breeder nets for new born and am currently using a twenty long for grow out of archocentrus centrarcus,rusties, and yellow labs. Works for me