• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Grow Out Questions

I have about fifty plus shellies (L. Stappersii) fry. I am thinking of growing them out in a 20L to see if I can get some pairs established. My question, for those who have had the experience, "should I add several shells in the tank and see which pair up?"

Tim

Members
Adding a few shells, IMO will lead to fighting over said shells. Especially with fifty fish and not enough to go around. To pair off fish, if you want to pass them on to others in established pairs, many people set them up in groups of six. I prefer to sell fish that pair off in groups rather than established pairs, because pair bonds aren't always as solid as we'd like. You could sell a pair to someone only to have them divorce and kill each other. Thats just my opinion of course. Having a place for them to breed and occupy would lend to the establishment of pairs once they were old enough. (To answer the actual question.)
Tim

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
What Tim said, that's how I paired off the original WC group.
Thanks,
Daniel

Thanks Tim and Daniel. So, I should break them up into squads of about six per small tank. What is the smallest size tank you would reccommend for these groups? Hmmm, pehaps I could divide the 20L into four or five sections. :sign0129:

Hey Pat, time to get some more sulphur head juvies. :wink:

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Just put 6 to 8 fish in the tank with about 4 shells at both ends, check for fish getting picked on and remove. This worked for me.
Thanks,
Daniel