• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Group dynamics and color, A. cacatuoides

captmicha

Members
So my dominant male died. :(

I think a new dominant male is emerging. What I *think* may be a sub-male is VERY pale in coloration. They all display nice color when actively feeding, but this guy is pretty pale the rest of the time.

Is that likely due to the shifting social dynamics of my group? (I dunno if this species does that.) Or should I assume sickness might be to blame? No one else is showing this faded, pale color and appetites are good. But... Appetites have never been a problem.

The first picture is of the sub-male behind of a what I'm assuming is a female showing healthy color.

The second picture is of what I'm assuming is the male emerging as the dominant male in the group, for color comparison.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Although I'm fairly new to Apistos, in my other fish, I have found that the subdominant males are sometimes remain much paler in color since they're low in the pecking order. If that pecking order changes, they color right up. I've also seen them transiently go from pale to colored up and back again if they can catch a female's attention before the dominant male notices.

Could it also just be that he's taking his time maturing?