• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green terrors?

mscichlid

Founder
Anyone with any experience with this fish?

I picked up a 2.5" bonded pair and the male already has the head hump.

Is this a common trait and behavoir of the species to be mature enough at this size to spawn?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The male is definitely too small for the nuchal hump. I think my pair bred once around that size. Matt has keep them longer than I so he would be a better resource.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hopefully Manuel will chime in. I know he is breeding GT's.

I have two males, both with humps. One is around 4", the other 5ish.

MHMoro

CCA Members
breeding green terrors

Franny,

As Prince previously mentioned, I also had seen in some cases green terrors (about 2.5 to 3.0") forming a pair and breeding. The "nucal" hump is seen as the fish (especially males) mature so I will like to see a picture of your male (if possible). I do not know if you have this pair alone or with other fish but be careful because, as with many cichlids, they may become very aggressive (both parents) especially after the fry start swimming and will chase any other fish in the tank and eventually kill them unless the tank is large and have places to hide. In my case I prefer to remove all other fish. In one occassion I even have to remove the male because the female became very overprotective and belligerent.

Manuel

Aqualoon

Members
Stalsbergi or Saums?

I haven't kept any Stalsbergi pairs myself yet, just have a male in a SA/CA mix tank. However I have kept several Saums, both single males and breeding pairs. My first pair of Gold Saums started breeding around the 3" mark and from there their growth was slower then normal. Granted Saums aren't super fast growers to begin with they just were even slower. The male did form a slight nucal hump, it was more like a small bump but he displayed amazing coloration from a small size.

I have had breeding pairs in their own tanks an in a community type setup. When I had a breeding pair in a community tank they would chase away other fish but I hadn't experienced all out kill everything aggression that you see in some fish. Of course this was in a 6' tank so there was some room.

mscichlid

Founder
I'll try to get a pic. I put them in a tank that has front glass to which could benefit a good algae scrubbing.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had Green Terrors (A. rivulatus) breed at 2.5-3" and some of the males will have humps at that age.

I've never found them to be particularly aggressive or nasty, even when spawning. An order of magnitude less aggreesive than say salivini or Texas cichlids... Not that they won't defend their young. They just won't exterminate everything in the tank :)

Matt

MHMoro

CCA Members
Green terror agression

Matt,

How large were the tanks when you kept green terrors with other fish? Depending how big they are I have them in a 40G breeder...they are especially aggressive toward co-specifics,,,as they became bigger they may confront other fish in a more belligerant fashion when breeding (of course this is my experience)

Manuel

dogofwar

CCA Members
A breeding pair of just about anything in a 40 breeder is gonna be rough on other fish!

I've bred small ones (alone) in one of my 2'x2'x1' tanks...larger pairs in 55gs...and bred them in communities > 75g.

Matt

mscichlid

Founder
Female

_DSC4605_zps62a7b7a2.jpg

Male

_DSC4568_zps7104881f.jpg

I have them in a 40 long with gold tetras and a female citrus pike.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
They are beautiful! They look to be a line bred variation known as "royal" green terrors.

Sent from my DROIDX

MHMoro

CCA Members
Nice breeding pair

I agree, they look like "royal green terrors". As they grow they will be even more spectacular (especially the male).

Manuel

neut

Members
All in all my experience is similar to Matt's-- this is for tank raised GTs. When it comes to wild (non-stalsbergi) GTs, all bets are off ime and those I had lived up to their name, from 2" juvies on. Otherwise, tank raised GTs have mostly been fairly mellow ime, but as mentioned above, spawning pairs need their space.