• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green Olivine Sand

mchambers

Former CCA member
I recently saw some beautiful green olivine sand in a museum, and it was very fine grained. Since it's volcanic in origin, I think it would be inert and therefore perfect for an aquarium. Can't find any on the Web, however. Anyone ever seen this in an aquarium? Any ideas where I could find some?

dlfn1

Members
there's a green sand beach on the big island of hawaii......not very helpful though. :)
can't say i've ever seen any in an aquarium or for sale anywhere.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Their is a company in Canada named Opta Minerals that makes Olivine Sand they have to distributors in Maryland. I may have to try some.

http://www.optaminerals.com/Foundry/Olivine-Sand.html

Belair Road Supply
7750 Pulaski Highway
Baltimore, MD 21237
Tel: 410-687-4200, Fax: 410-687-2906
www.belairroadsupply.com

Bay Country Rentals
8017 Fort Smallwood Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21226
Tel: 410 437 5660, Fax: 410 437 5880

I just checked Belair Road supplies site and they have an office 5 minutes from me. My have to price some out on Monday.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Hah!

there's a green sand beach on the big island of hawaii......not very helpful though. :)
can't say i've ever seen any in an aquarium or for sale anywhere.
I saw the green sand in Hawaii last week, but only in a museum. The only green sand beach we passed was two miles down a dirt road, which won't work in a rental Mazda 3!

dlfn1

Members
the hike out to the green sand beach is pretty long. didn't help that the wind was blowing on us the whole time. u couldn't hear a thing and the dirt from the dirt 'road' kept hitting us. i'll post some pics as soon as i find them.