• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green Death

Reed

Very Fishe
Well Last week all of sudden my water turn Green, Did multiple water changes, cleaned the filter etc. But the result was almost a total wipe out of my fish with the exception of 3. I had an amazing tank!

I did a few more water changes/ filter changes put on my UV filter, change the rocks etc. Now I get to start all over.

I am going to build a Male show tank again. So if any one has a few small male they are looking to rehome let me know

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I am sorry to hear about your fish loss. The green water was a filamentous algae bloom and though unsightly, it should not have negatively impacted your fish. Perhaps your cleaning everything caused a nitrite spike or a rapid change in Ph?
Make sure the water readings are all good before adding any new fish.

Hawkman2000

Members
I am sorry to hear about your fish loss. The green water was a filamentous algae bloom and though unsightly, it should not have negatively impacted your fish. Perhaps your cleaning everything caused a nitrite spike or a rapid change in Ph?
Make sure the water readings are all good before adding any new fish.

I would agree. I also wonder if all the localities flushing their water mains could have something to do with it.

Reed

Very Fishe
Thanks for the comments. The tanks seems to have stabilized. I picked up a small mall Jake at petsmart for $6 and he is doing fine

turfboss

Members
Reed - sorry to hear about the problem looks like you have it stabilized again (for now??) - seems possible that the chlorination process the cities go through could cause a real problem - two days ago Severna Park must have chlorinated again since the water coming out of the tap stinks of chlorine - eventually it dies down but even then we don't drink it and I always double treat the water going into the tanks when I get that really strong odor.

Have repiped parts of the water system and am in the process of putting in a 5 filter system - sediment - coconut carbon - Heavy Metals (these three for the whole house) and a second filter set of two filters (chloramine and GAC/Phosphate) for the water running through the hot water system and both hot and cold for the water running into the fish room and the kitchen - to get rid of the chlorine and other problems with the city water. Not only will we not be drinking or cooking with this treated water but I will be able to use the python system for water changes without having to treat each 5 gal bucket as I now have to do.

turfboss

Members
turfboss - I am considering a similar system for a small two bedroom house with two baths. Would you have a recommended size for a whole house filter in my case.
\

Tug - not sure on the size for your house - most of my decisions were based on how many fish tanks I have (or will have) and how much water I need to change etc - but I always go a bit overboard to be on the safe side so am going with the 20" filters - the 10" might be quite sufficient for what you need - I just always feel that the bigger the better - better utilization and less filter changes - lots of info on the web - just need to read a bit to get an idea of what you think you might need for your home.

Go to Big Blue -www.bigbrandwater.com/bigbluesystems.html - and see what they have to say - watch the video's on utube to get some ideas as well. It can be a bit intimidating trying to figure out what is best but bear with it and it will all make sense.