• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Greatist Guitarists of all time...

emartin

Members
Who are your top ten (not necessarily in any specific order) greatist guitarists of all time?

Lots of magazines and networks make their own lists but I disagree with a lot of the people they put on the "Top 100" lists and the people they left out...

Who are YOUR favorite guitarists of all time? And post a link (ie, youtube link) to a song of there's that you feel features their BEST work.

Here's my top ten, but in no specific order:

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fx0PT-_TWfY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fx0PT-_TWfY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

I obviously put more than ten, because I felt I had to... I did try to keep it as short as possible though..

One person I left out...personally because I feel he hasn't given us his BEST yet (not saying what he gave us wasn't very awesome ear candy, but he still has a lifetime to rock, and I think he has more to give us). That person is Jack White. Probably most famous for the song Seven Nation Army.

So who are your favorite Guitarists?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Neil Young - versatile and can speak volumes with a single note

Duane Allman - died at 24 but one of the greats

Eric Clapton

Keith Richards - too many amazing riffs

Jimmy Page - Led Zep invented the wheel

Hendrix - changed the game

Matt

YSS

Members
In no particular order...

EVH
Kirk Hammet
Slash
SRV
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Hendrix
BB King
Chick Corea
Anres Segovia
Francisco Tarrega

chris_todd

Members
Rodrigo y Gabriela are awesome, though I would point out that she is better than he is... watch her right hand - she does things few guitarists can do, and her rhythms totally make that combination. Their album 11:11 is awesome, but their previous self-titled release is worth buying, too.

I would also add Allan Holdsworth and Danny Gatton to the list, preferably at the #1 and #2 positions. Holdsworth, in particular, is not only the greatest guitarist of all time, but IMHO the greatest musician in the history of the human race, surpassing all Jazz, Rock, and Classical musicians in terms of his technical ability and creativeness. And Danny Gatton was once voted "Greatest Guitarist you've never heard of" by Guitar Player magazine. He was a local guy, and I saw him play many times at the 9:30 club and other local DC haunts before he died, he was amazing.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In addition to the greats that all have mentioned, I am a big fan of Tom Morello. Some of the things he can do with a guitar are amazing.

iamzrad

Members
Jonas Brothers?

hehe, I kid.

In no particular order,
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, not the Yardbirds, they kept him from achieving!!!)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Slash
Tony Iommi (Sabbath)

Andrew

Members
I have to add Jack White to the list. Total weirdo but the boy can play some guitar. Also haven't seen Tony Iommi on the list. He invented the metal sound so he's gotta be there too.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Without putting a ton of thought into it...

SRV
Hendrix
RANDY RHOADS
Billy Gibbons
Angus (my first guitar hero)
James Hetfield (some of the toughest riff's known to man)
Uncle Ted (Nugent that is)
Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (probably the most under rated twin guitar work in history)
Dave Hlubek and Duane Roland (also an under rated tag team)
Steve Gaines
I know I've missed several, not much time this morning to put the proper thought into it.

And since the Bass is actually a guitar...
Steve Harris
Cliff Burton
Les Claypool
Ryan Martinie
again, I'm sure I've missed many. I'll put more thought into it today.

Great topic ;)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 for Stevie Ray, Jimi, Slash, BB King and Les Claypool (PRIMUS SUCKS!!!). Add Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction) on there for good measure.

We missed this guy though... One of my personal favs. Probably not the best of these legends listed, but still one helluva performer.

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ycYc5Ll2No&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ycYc5Ll2No&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Spine

Members
Jimmy Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Danny Gatton
All the Steve's
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Steve Morse
I like Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp also
BB king
Albert king
Eddie Van halen
Les Paul - he kicked *** and invented stuff so all these guys can sound the way they do.
I've seen everyone on my list live with the exception of Hendrix and Albert King

Leffler817

CCA Members
Uncle Ted
EC
Hendrix
BB King
Jimmy Page
SRV
Allman
Edge
Brian May (not a great but love his stuff)
Joe Perry (ditto)
Prince: I have new found respect for him after watching him play in the superbowl.
Buddy Guy puts on a heck of a show
Robert Johnson
Robert Randolph get bonus for playing a steel guitar also...
I'm really into the dude from Wolfmother(who's name slips my mind) and the lead singer for Muse, Matthew Bellamy. I saw them open for U2 at fedex and he is legit.

YSS

Members
Yes, forgot about Les Paul. I guess no one here is a classic guitar fan. Those classic guitarists will kick most of these rockers' butts anytime.

Spine

Members
[QUOTE
Robert Randolph get bonus for playing a steel guitar also...[/QUOTE]

Good addition I almost forgot about him. I like Prince also because he can play just about any instrument. Adrian Belew is another one, the last time I saw him he was playing the drums.