• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Funny behavior

Becca

Members
The Rainbow Cichlids I got from Matt seem to be doing great but I'm seeing a really funny behavior with the male.

He starts at the bottom of the tank on the side where the spray bar is mounted then he swims straight up the front of the tank so fast that he nearly turns himself upside down. Then, he stops, turns around, and swims down again.

What's especially amusing is that the cory cats in the tank also swim up and down like this and it almost looks like he's schooling with them.

The poor little female keeps looking at him like he's nuts. Having never kept these guys before I'm curious - is this a "typical" behavior?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I haven't seen that behavior. Don't know why he'd do that. He was with corys and many rainbows before, so he should know he's not a cory.

Becca

Members
Maybe it's the way the current flows in my tank? The corys seem to get a kick out of doing flips in it, too.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Could be. Until recently, I had an Eheim diffusor shooting out a jet of water in a 55 gallon tank, and the panda corys would swim up and down the tank wall near the output.

zackcrack00

Members
I had a lone cory cat once in a little 10 gallon, and ya know the thing dolphins do when they stick their head out if the water and sort-of run across it? That was what she did.