• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Flowerhorn question

Hello everyone, so have a question. How is the demand for flowerhorns in the east coast. I know there very popular on the mid west to west coast. I'm considering getting into selling them from a supplier overseas and wanted to see if they are popular. Please keep this post drama free, I don't want to hear people bashing fh we all know they're a hybrid. Thanks.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think there are only a few club members that keep FHs. No idea about the demand for them, but when I've seen them for sale, they can be quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Forester

Members
Another issue with them is their size. Though i would love to be able to keep them, I (and many others) have to prioritize more smaller tanks over less larger tanks. I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There's a flowerhorn community that differs somewhat from the regular cichlid community.

There are no shortage of people keeping and breeding bad quality flowerhorns. Way fewer actually doing it well. Developing and refining new varieties takes a lot of time, effort, culling and really good base stock. Same with any "fancy" fish: Stendker discus varieties don't come about randomly...nor do desirable fancy guppies, bettas, angelfish, etc.

There's an amazing store in Sacramento, CA that's run by Malaysian guys who get legit flowerhorns. The store is full of trophies of competitions in Asia. They also specialize in fancy discus. Some of the best aquarists I've ever met. They just choose to focus on flowerhorns and rainbow discus vs. little brown fish :)

Check out some of the flowerhorn forums and you'll find some great folks on the east coast (and around the world)...

Matt

Thanks. The supplier I am looking into has amazing fh. I've yet to hear bad of his stock, show quality stuff. I'm going to buy a small order and see how they sell.