• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Florida collecting trip

Thai

Members
I will be going down to Florida early next month to do some collecting and bringing fish back with me, have an empty seat if any one would like to join! Ill post exact dates as soon as I notify my employer

Thai

Members
Well I have a standard power outlet in the back of my Lexus, so I was thinking some big styrofoam boxes with a couple bubblers and submersible filter, temps should be fine without a heater

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's MUCH easier to bring back small and medium-sized fish than lunkers. Take pics of the lunkers and keep smaller ones and fry to grow out.

I'd go with buckets and coolers vs. styros (which could crack, leak, smash, etc.) when you're doing water changes, carrying them, when you stop, etc.

Keep air on them and do LOTS of water changes. In Uruguay we change 100% water on all the buckets of fish at least twice per day. The first night after capture, the fish will poop out most of what's in their bellies. It will be a mess.

Remember also that a single dead fish left in a container can kill the whole thing...make sure to check the pumps, airstones, water, etc. every time you stop. A little time without air can be doom (I've seen it and it's really sad)...

Be prepared to quarantine when you get back. The fish will be stressed and have whatever hitchhikers they've acquired in the wild. They'll most likely get ich, so be ready.

Not sure how many days you're planning to go down for but I'd have battery air pumps as well. You might not be able to pull your car as close as you'll need when you're fishing.

Sounds like a blast and take lots of pics!

Matt

Well I have a standard power outlet in the back of my Lexus, so I was thinking some big styrofoam boxes with a couple bubblers and submersible filter, temps should be fine without a heater

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Check your car owner's manual and see which fuse runs the outlet. Have extra fuses just in case. Also check to see if its hot all the time or just when the key is on.

I too would use buckets or coolers. I would also have some dirt magnet sponge filters out of my tanks. They are small and help with filtration as well as putting o2 into the buckets.

Thai

Members
Great advice, I will be brining back only juvies, dates are July 5th-11th, will drive down on the 5th and drive back in the 11th

daninmd

Members
I will be going down to Florida early next month to do some collecting and bringing fish back with me, have an empty seat if any one would like to join! Ill post exact dates as soon as I notify my employer

Be careful and make sure you read up on FWC regulations before you go down there. You cannot collect any regulated gamefish, and i think peacock bass might fall in that. I lived in FL all my life until a couple of years ago.

Anyway, check out mwfwc.com before you head down there and make sure you stay legal. They dont mess around in Florida with that stuff, and have been known to take people's cars, boats, etc.

McGrubble

Members
Be careful and make sure you read up on FWC regulations before you go down there. You cannot collect any regulated gamefish, and i think peacock bass might fall in that. I lived in FL all my life until a couple of years ago.

Anyway, check out mwfwc.com before you head down there and make sure you stay legal. They dont mess around in Florida with that stuff, and have been known to take people's cars, boats, etc.

^^^^^+20
As a fellow Floridian who has had his fair share of run-ins with the FWC (luckily, I've been on the right side of the law each time), I can't agree more with Daninmd. FWC are meeeaaannnn and are always looking for things to find you guilty for. That rule also applies to The Florida Highway Patrol. Needless to say, be ever vigilant in your abidance to the law.

daninmd

Members
^^^^^+20
As a fellow Floridian who has had his fair share of run-ins with the FWC (luckily, I've been on the right side of the law each time), I can't agree more with Daninmd. FWC are meeeaaannnn and are always looking for things to find you guilty for. That rule also applies to The Florida Highway Patrol. Needless to say, be ever vigilant in your abidance to the law.

and probably more unlikely to give you the benefit of the doubt if you got an out of state license plate...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Check your car owner's manual and see which fuse runs the outlet. Have extra fuses just in case. Also check to see if its hot all the time or just when the key is on.

Wow... wouldn't have even thought of that. Good call for sure.

04rwon

Members
What part of Florida?If Orlando, stop by and say hello. We are moving on the 4th, be there on the 5th i assume. Take us a day or 2 to get setup and settled, but the tanks will be setup first for sure.