• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

First Spawn! Apistogramma Viejita Sp. "Red Neck"

AquaStudent

Members
Actually, technically I had two random African cichlids breed in my 55g last year but I could only guess at the parents.

I picked up a pair of Apisto. Viejita sp. "Red Neck" from Batfish at their open house earlier this summer. (From what I've read online, Viejita hasn't been imported in years and the species is actually a macmasteri but I have no idea how to even begin to tell the difference).

They are in a planted 29 gallon with a small school of Aspidoras sp. Albater, a few nannostomus eques (Rocket/Hockey Pencilfish), and a few old neon tetras. The other day I noticed the apistos showing a ton of aggression. I looked closer and thought I saw small shrimp swimming around. But there hasn't ever been shrimp in that tank. It was fry! Woot woot!

So that's really exciting. For feeding I am trying crushing up some NLS Small Fish Formula (to almost powder), Ken's Golden Pearls, and chopped blackworms.

Pictures/Video to come soon.

AquaStudent

Members
Here are pics of the parents and an atrocious one of a couple fry.

Parents were photographed using a Nikon D5000 and Tamron 90mm
Dad

Momma

Fry (Taken with Samsung Galaxy S3 x4 Zoom

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Tony,

The reason why I won't sell you my breeders at any price?
They're OLD, seriously OLD, from an Apisto Guru who is no longer in the hobby .... They are Apistogramma viejita -- not MacMasteri, as far as I'm aware. Now, if you held a gun to my head and demanded to know the difference between the two, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Taking the gun away would probably help a little, but I still wouldn't be able to tell you! :)

Joshua.

JasonC

Members
According to Mike Wise, there has been only 1 maybe 2 sightings of a live Viejita male in the trade in the last 30 some-odd years. Everything from breeders labled Viejita is really a tank strain of Macmasteri with *lots* of red. There is an old pic of true viejita on fishbase (http://www.fishbase.org/photos/thumbnailssummary.php?ID=46716), see the bottom pic... fish with striking red bordered dorsal. There is also a newer pic of a (most likely) true viejita male, that was imported as a bycatch in 2012, at TomC's site (http://www.fishbase.org/photos/thumbnailssummary.php?ID=46716). If you are sure of the lineage of your fish, and would really like to know what they are, talk to Mike Wise at www.apistogramma.com and he will ID them for you... if they are Viejita, the hobby would *really* like to know cause we REALLY WANT TRUE VIEJITA IN THE HOBBY!! ;P

That being said, the tank strains being sold as viejita are still some amazing looking fish w/ beautiful colors.

Jmty

Members
I bought a pair from one of the speakers at pvas as a viejita will take a pics soon to see if resembles any of the above, currently only see him at feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks for the info Josh. I'll let you know if I find anything more on an actual ID. I don't have the expertise to properly id the apistos and am going on the sources that JasonC must have read too.

Quite frankly they are stunning fish and I don't care if they are Viejita or Macmasteri. I'm sure there are hobbyiests that would love for them to be "true" Viejita.

I've had a very stressful day at the university today and am trying to blow of some steam here on the CCA before starting some quantum mechanics homework due Monday. In the future I'll try contacting Mike Wise and some other people with some knowledge to get their inputs.

I got back to my apartment a few minutes before the lights went out on the tank (I left hours before they came on) and I didn't see any fry directly. The female is still sticking close to the bottom and chasing away anyone that gets near the area where she was looking after the fry last night. I think the fry numbers are dwindling.

Once I get the Metriaclima elongatus large enough to move into my 55g I can set that tank up as a grow-out for them. I could try and move the male and female into that tank, have them spawn in there, then move them back to the 29g and let the fry grow. I like watching the apistos defend the fry but it'd be easier to raise the fry not in a community tank.

Big Congrats Tony -- beautiful fish!

I've had good success feeding fry Crushed NLS in the past.

Are your plans to remove the other fish; Aspidoras, Nannostomus and Tetra's?

It appears you have already witnessed how great female apisto's are as parents - enjoy the experience.

Also: great pics, hope to hear and see more good news....