• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Finally the 300 is home!!

creepyoldguy

Members
After the longest week ever, my 6x3 300 is in my garage. Heres what I got-

300g (6x3x27") tank w corner overflows and starphire glass
Black stand
Black canopy
Glass lids
Plumbing
2 quiet one 9000s

Tank was bought new one year ago and never been setup!

I need to build a sump, and I have a cheap set of light strips and the tank will be ready. I'll post some pics here in a few

creepyoldguy

Members
Tank will be for my stingrays and black arowana for now. I would like to have a trio of one male and two females. I will also be adding a tigrinus when it outgrows my 75 growout

creepyoldguy

Members
78f0a02c.jpg

creepyoldguy

Members
Thanks a lot for the kind words. This is where I'm going to need some input-

I have a 55 or 75 I can use to make a sump. Problem w the 75 is that I will prob have to modify the stand to get it in. I know bigger is better, but if anyone in here has a 300g tank, could you chime in on your sump size. I will probably sell one of the quiet ones and run only one. This will give me a hair over 6.5x per hr turnover rate. Now, I need to figure what size sump and how to build my sump!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
It's no 300, but I'm happy with the size of my 50 gallon Rubbermaid underneath my 180.... which only has about 35 gallons in it.

I think that so long as you keep it big enough to hold your media and have a water level high enough to be able to withstand enough evaporation (so as to not have to top off every other day), then it should be fine using the 55.

I've read in other places a super high turnover rate is as important on an open system (sump) as it is with a closed system (canister filter). This is because sumps do not encounter diminished flow like canisters do when they get dirty. With a tank that large, you could probably get by with 4x no problem. I would throw in a couple blower-style powerheads to get some good water movement though. Additional movement never hurts.

creepyoldguy

Members
Thanks for the feed back. We think alike. I agree that huge turnover rates are often overkill and I will be using wet/dry and submerged media. I will have a 1400gPh flow pump for circulation. Now I need to build a sump.

Hawkman2000

Members
Awsome tank dude. About the sump though.

Do some research on lexan and weldon-3 or 4. It is rather easy to manufacture your own lexan wet/dry. You can even polish the corners to make It look seamless.

minifoot77

Members
for your plumbing needs you should contact dangerchicken aka the madd plumber

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org