• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Female JD wound and fin rot

dankdabe

Members
All,

My female JD seemed to be the victim of domestic abuse late last week. It's not abnormal for her fins to show some wear and tear during courtship and usually right around the time she and her mate spawn. She seems to have been beaten up worse than normal and had me concerned last Wednesday night. She had some scuffs and messed up scales in addition to some fin fray. Some of her scales were showing a little fuzz like perhaps she got a fungus. She seemed lethargic and was barely eating. I went out of town on thurs morning for the weekend and had a roommate administer melafix and keep tabs on the lady, although I think he only used melafix one day. Having checked on her tonight, she has a rather large patch of scales missing, a big open wound on her side where the fuzzy wound was. It doesn't look like its penetrated past the flesh but several scales are gone. Her tail fin seems to have rotted a decent amount as well. The only good news is that she is eating voraciously and is otherwise swimming around normally. Unfortunately I don't have a spare tank or I would quarantine her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just melafixed after feeding and am keeping the lights off to lessen stress. View attachment 5653View attachment 5654View attachment 5655View attachment 5656View attachment 5657

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looks rough. I'd try to divide her from the male if possible to reduce stress further. Lots of water changes will also help. Hope she pulls through.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - divide her from the male...and treat with melafix and pimafix after a big water change...

Matt

dankdabe

Members
Gonna buy some pimafix tonight and will do a big change. I've heard of people using eggcrate as a DIY divider. Any other ideas?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Egg crate is the easiest/cheapest thing I have found. You can cut it with a pair of snips, and it is easily wedged into place in the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd use both pimafix (for fungas) and melafix (anti-bacterial for wounds)... and wedge some egg crate...

Matt

dankdabe

Members
I have a little 5 gallon tank up and running with an established filter that housed a couple of guppies a month ago. Should I move her in there and dose with Pima, mela? If I do that should I replace the water with water from her tank? Or should I just go divider route in her 55?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd go divider in the 55 first, but if its going to be a couple of days until you can get it done, move to the 5. 5's are just tougher to maintain stable water chemistry in my experience.

Hawkman2000

Members
+1

Also, the dividers at the LFSs work very well, and they usually have them for the 55s.

Actually, I just recently had to treat a male cutteri thank was in similar condition. I used Tropical salt, Melafix, and Pimafix. Wound healed up in about 1.5 weeks. The tail will probably take longer. I'd keep the divider in their for a while.

Jmty

Members
where do you get this egg crates , only see foam egg crates ??????? thanks in advance guys

jonclark96

Past CCA President
where do you get this egg crates , only see foam egg crates ??????? thanks in advance guys

From the lighting section at Home Depot/Lowes. It is actually a lighting diffuser for acoustical tile ceilings. They come in 2 foot by 4 foot sheets. They are white plastic with 1/2" square grid.

dankdabe

Members
Thanks for the advice. I forgot I had some extra plastic (maybe acrylic or plexi) that I had been using to cover a gap in my tank hood. Was able to cut that and fit it in the tank with about a 1/2 in on either side that will hopefully help circulation-wise a little bit. Will be good to have for future rough behavior. She only gets banged up when the two are in courtship and right after a spawn. Was surprised with her being more banged up the last two spawns though. The good news is when I got home she was happy and ate really well again and the wounds dont look worse by any means. Did a 40% change and dosed with mela and pima. I know I need to keep her separated to help the process, but its funny to see the male and female hang right by each other while separated. They definitely miss each other.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she recovers. I've never had good luck healing wounds like in the pictures above.