• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electrical question

captmicha

Members
Most, if not all of my filters and heaters and water pumps are connected to power strips instead of directly to the wall.

I don't know what's going on, but frequently, it'll seem like a piece of equipment just dies. Completely nothing going on. Then I wait a couple of weeks and then plug it directly into the wall instead of a power strip and all of a sudden, the equipment is working again.

This happens too frequently for me to suspect it's the equipment every time. Since everything is plugged into power strips, that seems to be the connecting factor.

Can power strips be to blame for this problem? It's not just one power strip, but several different kinds to several different outlets.

It's making things very unreliable...

Ading522

Members
Your power consumption is more than the power outlet can handle..and I think its a built in safe mode to shut it down so that it does not overload the circuit and cause a short and /or electrical fire.. I think some people hire an electrician to add more power amp ( not sure I'm using the right word) to be able to let them use the power without overload..

Hope this helps..just my two cents..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

captmicha

Members
But all the equipment on that strip doesn't shut off, neither does the strip. It's usually only a single piece of equipment each time.

Ading522

Members
That has happened to me the past days and resulted in some fish death.. I can't understand how but it just did.. And there was a time where there were only two pumps running on a single power strip, but it turned off.. It changed when I got a stronger air pump and heaters.. Now it does not turn off..

JasonC

Members
This makes no sense. If this was an over-draw situation, as stated before, either the power strip or the circuit breaker in the panel would trip causing everything to cut off.

One thing I would suspect is if it is a thermal issue... what types of gear is doing this? Is there good air flow around the items? Is the cord hot when you find them shut off? Some electrical devices have a thermal sensor which shuts them off if they get too hot until they cool down to an acceptable temp range... Not entirely convinced this is the case, but is a thought.

Oh... if you plug the device back into the same power strip, and same outlet on the strip does it still work, or has that outlet failed completely? If it failed completely, could be cheep power strips... we go through a lot of them at my job... many brands are just built poorly so they can sell them for cheep.

Probably the one consuming the most electricity shuts off?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey so seems like you got some good advice so far... My buddy said the power strip is to blame check to see what it's rated for or if it is an older one...he said it's rare but sometimes just one plug will be damaged from over use/ wearing out not causing the whole strip to shut off...very rare but possible

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I wouldn't just assume your consumtion is greater than your supply. A 120 line usually has 15 or 20 amp service and this is quite a lot. I have several power strips running off one outlet, and have seen those long strips with up to 20 plugs on one single outlet. From what your explaining my first conclusion woyld be that something isn't wired correctly or the strip your using doesn't have a high enough amperage or joule rating. Before calling an electrician I Would first replace the strips you have used with one that has atleast 15 amps and 2000 joules. If this has no effect I would test your outlet to make sure its 1) grounded properly 2) wired properly (white or neutral on the right and the longer outlet prong on the right.) 3) all connections are tight and making good contact. 4) check your main panel for what fuse is installed on the circuit with the issue. These are things any hobbyist should check before hooking multiple items up on one circuit.
One outlet on a strip can go bad but once its broke its broke for good. If its a problem with amps or power supply the whole strip would go out and run in a loop going on then off when the draw is high enough like when a heater turns on. No single outlet is independent of the others if one has to much draw it trips the main circuit they all go out. Some equipment has internal circuitry that trips, but usually this is only caused by thermal issues and what your describing sounds a lot like there is a thermal issue. Thermal problems are usually caused by poor wiring. I would do some testing of your own. When a peice goes off immediately unplug it and try it on a different circuit in a differnt room if its still off wait an hour for it to cool then try again. Also test the outlet that powered the equip. that shut off to see of it has power. Get a test light for five bucks it will tell you a lot like if you outlet has 120 v if its grounded correctly.......with answers to these questions you can easily determine what the problem is.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sorry I mis typed black on right if you are looking at the outlet and the long prong on left

Hawkman2000

Members
It is possible that it could be a grounding issue. Alot of older houses do not have grounds in the wiring. Just because you have 3 prong outlets does not mean that the wiring has ground. It could also be an improperly wired outlet, reversed neutral ground, reverse positive nuetral...

Hope you get it figured out.

captmicha

Members
We have a newer house. The wires never seem hot. I guess I need to start shelling out more $ on quality strips. Sigh. Will also check out the other issues.

Sometimes I can be pretty daft but I'm pretty sure I'm putting the bigger prong on the correct side. Lol.

Stupid question, but how do I know how many joules a power strip has? Not all seem to have this listed.

Last edited:
The large prong only fits in one side. Look at the outlet itself if the longer receptacle is on the right its set up backwards. Even if it is on the laft it is still possible the wires inside the outlet box are backwards. Its very easy to check only three screws there is going to be a white black and green or bare wire the white wire should be attached to the left side of the outlet if you look at it from the front. Its very easy for an electrician to mistakingly or ignorantly pay no attention to this, usually the later. Ground is also very important when using a large strip. Its code for probably the last twenty years so it should be there. If its a big concern depot has a great little miggiger looks like a plug with no cord plug it in tells you everything there is to know about the outlet (volts, ground, even if its gfi protected). As for strips I got mine at depot for 15 bucks. 8 plugs that swivel so the block style plugs fit in each outlet. All strips you should be interested in (10+ bucks) have the amp and joule rating on the packaging. If it happens again immediately try the equipment that stopped in a different outlet and a different piece on the outlet that stopped working and let us know what's happening.

The wires probably won't get hot the motor of whatever is plugged in would.