• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electric Blue Ram Breeding Questions

Duque

Members
Hi Everyone.

While I've been waiting for my 40 Gallon "Dirt" Breeder tank to cycle, I had to relocate 5 Electric Blue Rams into my heavily planted 20 gallon aquarium. Everyone seemed quite happy. There was no fighting and some pairing. I accidentally had a pair breed, but all of the fry were gone the next day. As all of the Rams respected each other's territory, my suspicions went towards the Neon Tetras, who were hovering over the breeding pair like a gang of opportunistic thugs. I removed 1/2 of the Tetras and the Rams seemed more than happy to help chase them into the net. No kidding.

So, for 3 months afterwards I've had nothing. The two pairs would nest, but no action. Do I need Barry White music in the background?

Anyway, last week disaster struck. I had 12 Electric Blue Rams die in 4 separate tanks. Most were young, but I lost 2 of my mature ones in the 20 gallon. Oddly enough, every tanks' water parameters were fine. I suspect some bad frozen blood worms poisoned them. It was the only common thread.

This leaves me with 2 main questions:
1.) If one fish in a breeding pair dies, will the other Ram try and pair up with someone different?
2.) Is there a comprehensive guide/thread to breeding Electric Blue Rams for Dummies?

Any help would be appreciated. I love these fish and can't imagine losing any more before they've had a chance to spawn normally.

Thanks in Advance!

mchambers

Former CCA member
EBRs are just color variants of German Blue Rams. There are lots of guides for German Blue Rams on the Internet.

Duque

Members
Thanks for all of the support, everyone.

Will have to get back to breeding if any of my pairs survive. I've just had a major Ram die off in 4 different tanks. I suspect it's bad frozen food, as all of the water parameters are fine and there are absolutely no symptoms of any illness. Plus, the food was the only common thread. Damned bloodworms gone bad. Since my tanks are split up on different floors, this will teach me to keep different food supplies in each floor's fridge.

It looks like flakes, pellets, and brine shrimp are going to have to be their staple food from now on.