• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

curved angelfish fin?

cmcpart0422

Members
Anyone have any idea what might cause this?

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Did it happen all of a sudden or was it always like that? My guess would be just a birth defect. I had an angel like that long ago...

cmcpart0422

Members
It didn't start out like that. Bought a group of them and they started out fine and grew for a few months before it started to happen.

minifoot77

Members
i can't see the pic on my phone but if it is a veil or super veil it could happen because the fins are two long and the bones aren't strong enough to hold it. . .

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

cmcpart0422

Members
i can't see the pic on my phone but if it is a veil or super veil it could happen because the fins are two long and the bones aren't strong enough to hold it. . .

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Hmm that interesting thanks for the input. It makes sense. Is this a proven anomaly or just a theory?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The fin does not look like what I see with droopy veil tailed fins. Those are more curved but still smooth, they just cannot hold them up or keep them spread out well. It looks more like an environmentally caused curve, IMHO. Possibly a rapid temperature change or an injury. And the latter seems more reasonable unless other angels in the tank have the same curve.

minifoot77

Members
The fin does not look like what I see with droopy veil tailed fins. Those are more curved but still smooth, they just cannot hold them up or keep them spread out well. It looks more like an environmentally caused curve, IMHO. Possibly a rapid temperature change or an injury. And the latter seems more reasonable unless other angels in the tank have the same curve.

+1 now that i can see the pic and what size tank is that? and when did you notice it?

cmcpart0422

Members
Right now they are in a 29. I had them in a 20 long and moved them when the bodies were about the size of a nickel. Noticed it when he was about that size and thought it might be water quality and space. Been doing lots of water changes and still no difference. Very active and eats well though.

minifoot77

Members
if it were me i'd trim the fin with some sharp scissors and add melafix to the tank the curve is probably from the water conditions and the height of the 20 long. the fin will not correct itself on its own but will grow strait again if trimmed.... (and proper water conditions)