• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cross Brooding?

WendyFish

Members
Our holding yellow lab spit today and the first fry that I saw... double take... it couldn't be. It was dark and stripey.

For the back story, last weekend I pulled the holding yellow lab and a holding demasoni, both at roughly two weeks (1-2 days apart) and moved them to 20L to spit.

I waited too long on the demasoni, should have just stripped her, she died last Sunday within a day of being moved. I was totally bummed to have lost a holding mom and her clutch, especially because it was our first demasoni spawn.

Cut to today, I look at that first fry and it sure looks like a demasoni to me.

Hours later, she's spit out 4 labs and 3 demasoni, very distinct from each other.

I cannot imagine the 4in lab would have hybridized with a 1.5in demasoni, so all I can figure is that the demasoni spit before she died and the lab picked them up. Is this possible?

I'm sooooo happy that it looks like not all the fry were lost. :jumping0045:

Any suggestions I am not thinking of for next steps? I assume they will not bother each other as fry any more than they do living as adults together.

The mom still takes them back in her mouth if we get closer than she likes, which I understand to be normal behavior. So far I have only seen part of the clutch out and about. Should I just let her spit all of them out in due time?

Any suggestions are welcome, but mostly just thought this was neat and wanted to share. Kinda cool how life finds a way.

I think the lab might have grabbed some as you said. I would strip the female and get her back in the tank as soon as you can.

WendyFish

Members
Stripped. 23 fry all told, including 5 dark stripey ones. We will see how they grow up! Female is back in 55, nice that we rearranged rock today so she went right away and found her new spot.