• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

convict sex help

johnm91

Members
hey guys just trying to figure out how to use this forum sorry if I posted in the wrong spot . i need a little help with telling the sex of my black convicts there's 3 of them one male his about 12 cm's a female that's about 6 cm's and the one im not sure of is about 10 cm's I'll try post a pic and let me know if you guys think it's a male or female ...hopefully the pics worked but yeh the one with the bump is obviously the boy but I'm not to sure on the other one without the bump , i appreciate any help . thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1340285991.552838.jpg

Last edited:

johnm91

Members
they swim in circles around each other and flair there gills at each other like this pic , is that breeding behavior or is it two males about to kill each other? they get pretty aggressive towards each other

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1340286664.722905.jpg

Wblaze

Members
I was really scared to open this thread after seeing the title. Between this title and all the goat talk, I was afraid we were turning into a whole nother sort of club

What Marc said!!

It reminds me of the shorthand we use in the "horse world." Threads like "I sat on my baby today for the first time" gets weird looks from people who don't realize that means you got in the saddle on your young horse for the first time!!! :D

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Back to the sex talk...

Both look like males to me. The behavior you are witnessing is most likely the two males fighting over the female. Females will typically have orange/red in the belly area.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Best thread title ever.

(sorry I cant help....beautiful fish though)

johnm91

Members
yeh I thought it was a male but it has a bit of coloration on its belly and when my female had eggs I think it just ate them I dont know what happened .. it won't end well if I just put the female back in Ay? lol sorry I didn't realize the title ..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would take out the extra male. Sometimes it takes a time or two for a young pair to get it right. Make sure there is room for the female to hide if he want to spawn and she doesn't.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You may be able to get away with two pairs in a 40. Maybe find another female if you can't rehome the lonely male.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Is the main tank a 40 breeder? If so, as Jon said you may be able to have two pairs. Then again, convicts can be really aggressive when protecting their babies.

Sent from my DROIDX