• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

c123 Spawning Report

mchambers

Former CCA member
I bought six yellow corydoras, c123, from MAB last fall. He caught them last August on the Rio Nanay in Peru. They fattened up nicely, but I hadn't seen any signs of breeding activity. They had been in a community tank and also in a tank that housed only corydoras, but included two other coradoras species, also from the Nanay.

Saturday, I went to the trouble of tearing apart the 29 gallon tank the c123 were in. Sunday morning, I found eggs all over the tank walls! Later in the day, I found even more eggs. I'm guessing there were about 100 eggs in total. I peeled some off and put them in a fry grow-out tank. I left the rest, but am contemplating moving the parents out later tonight, to give any fry a better chance.

More on this catfish from Planet Catfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=2356

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Saw your spawning success on Planet Catfish. Congrats. C123s are tops on my wish list. Let me know when you're ready to sell some.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Will do. Am keeping my fingers crossed that the eggs are fertile and don't fungus, but so far everything looks promising.

b considine

Any sign of hatching? It's been 4 days, and that's usually the incubation period.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Not certain. I haven't seen any little ones on the substrate, but I haven't looked all that closely. Some of the eggs look like they've got fungus, unfortunately, despite the alder cones I added to the tanks. But I am trying to remain optimistic, knocking on wood, and looking for rabbit feet. I've had good luck breeding pandas and cw010, and am using the same techniques and equipment, so am still hopeful.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Peeked in with a flashlight early this morning and saw a couple of very small fry moving around on the sand, so I am optimistic that there are quite a few. My strategy for the next few weeks is to feed them often but lightly and otherwise leave them alone, except for water changes, so I won't really know how many are in there.

mchambers

Former CCA member
C123 breeding adventure

Blaise and Arlene, thanks for the encouragement! Will keep you in mind if the fry prosper. Blaise, I threw some chunks of Repashy Community in this morning. (I'm out of town this weekend, but also have an Eheim feeder dispensing Golden Pearls while I'm gone.)

Just to whet your appetite, here's a picture of the proud parents.

19f585b7.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like I've got quite a few fry. I removed the parents from the tank with the eggs. I've discovered that when I shine a flashlight on the tank early in the morning, I've got lots of little corydoras zipping around, especially on the magnolia leaves in the tank.

Hard to say how many, but I saw at least 10 this morning, and I certainly didn't look at more than a quarter of the tank.

Before I removed the parents, I also moved some eggs to a small grow out tank. Haven't seen any cory fry in it yet, but it is quite possible that they're hiding in the moss and other plants.

b considine

Sweet. My aspidoras cf albater have been spawning like crazy the past few weeks. Must be all the thunderstorms. Pandas have been acting crazy as well. Sadly, my other corys have been as lethargic as always.

Blaise