• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding Crenicichla

maddog10

Members
Does anyone have any tips on breeding Crenicichla sp. "Xingu-I"
I have a definite pair and today they were acting "different".
They also had much darker and vivid coloration that was constantly changing.
They took turns flexing/twitching their bodies at each other (not in a threatening way)

Here is a pic of the female, she is about 9".
xingu-1a.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
If they show signs of selecting a nesting site spawning is very close behind. Keep an eye on the clutch and the male. If the clutch fails to hatch (which I doubt will happen) watch the pair carefully. I hope the nesting site is in a good spot to get pictures of the actual spawning and the eggs!

Once your fry become free swimming, prepare to feed the greedy buggers lots and lots of bbs and other assorments of baby foods.

maddog10

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Feb 9 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is that your pic?????[/b]
Yep, this one is mine. Shot a couple last night (in case i need to write an article). Didn't shoot long, did not want to disturb the fish too much. Took some water readings as well (like someone told me - TAKE NOTES :rolleyes: )

maddog10

Members
Looks like things have cooled off, they were back to normal coloration last night when I got home. I will check on them later today when the lights come on and see if there is any change. If it looks like the breeding activity has passed I will perform the long overdue water change and see what happens.