• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best practices?'s for Juvi grow out tank.

Vinh2o

Members
A couple questions
1. substrate or bare bottom?

1A. If I go bare bottom don't need a add a limestone type piece to up the ph? The established tanks is all crushed coral and Carib sea oh boosting sand.

3. Last Sunday I put the sponge & box filter in my established tank to harvest seeded media. How long will it take for the water to seed the media? The established tank is loaded with about 35 fish, but is over filtered.

Thanks in advance. Hope to see you guys at meeting!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've done both bare bottom and substrate for grow out tanks. I can't say that I have seen a noticeable difference between the two. Bare bottom are easier to clean if you are heavily feeding. Regardless of your choice, I would recommend including decorations in your tank. I can't remember which speaker said it, but he advised that decorations help the young fish to act normally, and give them places to hide in the tank.

On the question of seeding the filter, I usually give about two weeks to get a filter started from scratch.

In my opinion, the best practice for grow out tanks is good food and lots of water changes. Clean water is the best way to promote growth.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
@jonclark96 Do you move them straight to a grow out tank or do you leave them in a fry box for a little while?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

For me, it depends on the species and my availability of grow out tanks. I will leave most New Worlds in hang-on breeder boxes until they are big enough to eat crushed flake food. I find it easier to keep them contained to a small area to make sure they are getting food easily. For the few Africans I've bred, as long as there is no yolk sac still attached, I'll move them right into a 10G tank to grow out.