• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad hurricane season predicted -- let's talk generators

According to this morning's Washington Post, this is predicted to be a "Top 10" hurricane season. There was an article on generators in the Real Estate section. I'd love to hear what you all have done about this. I have battery-powered air stones on hand, which is great for a short outage. But anything extended, well, we're bound to lose a lot of fish. I lost power for five days after Hurricane Isabel, which was a giant pain but before I kept fish tanks. Now, it would be a disaster.

Who has a portable, gas-powered type generator? Pros and Cons? Cost? Ease of use, etc?

Who has sprung for the automatic type? Cost? Lessons learned . . .

Spine

Members
If you get the portable type make sure you get something to secure it with(lock,chain etc)
Always get more gas than you think you need:unsure:
Look into something to make it quitter so your neighbors don't hate on you(get jealous)

Keep a extra spark plug and air filter

Make sure it works before you need it so you have time to fix it if it doesn't eg. If they say a big store is due on Friday make sure it starts and is running right on Monday or Tuesday so you will be prepared by Friday.

Never use old gas(anything over 2 weeks old)
*ALWAYS USE FRESH GAS !!!*

dogofwar

CCA Members
Battery operated air pump will keep things going for a long time.

I have some of the smaller ones and a bigger one that can run 8-10 filters.

All are from kensfish.com

Matt -- I'll look into Ken's. What keeps 8-10 filters going? Temperature would also be a problem in the summer, I"d assume. If the air temp is in the 90s, won't the tanks get hot?

dogofwar

CCA Members
For reference, my fishroom in Sacramento was in the garage... We had temps of over 100 for over a week straight... Only fish I lost were a colony of julies...

Matt

animicrazy

Members
I have a lot of tanks; many actually have water and fish. I used to have (6) 6 volt deep cycle batteries wired in pairs to make (3) sets of 12 volt w lots of amp hours hooked to an inverter (12v DC - ~110vAC); extension cords did the rest. Then I got more tanks, water, and fish. Now I have a generator - Subaru motor (love it) 42 amps at 240 volts and three 5 gallon gas cans. All the advice about fresh gas and locks is good but there are products that stabilize gas for storage (one is, amazingly enough, called Stable). GEMCO sells an auto switch to put selected items on battery when power fails - my generator still requires a pull (only one) - but auto is on the horizon. In the meantime, you can get a 1500 watt or so power inverter from a lot of places and run it off your car - I have, it works. My advice, for what it is worth, is to decide on the system you want to have and begin, in a thought out logical way, to acquire the components in the order that makes the most practical sense. Or, you could just throw ten grand at the problem, and be done - but that's not me.

Spine

Members
Good suggestions Paul,inverters are pretty cheap and can be found at just about any Auto/Marine supply store.

There are some drawbacks, if you live on the 10th floor of an apartment also to leave the car running ,not a good idea in some area's.

animicrazy

Members
Good suggestions Paul,inverters are pretty cheap and can be found at just about any Auto/Marine supply store.

There are some drawbacks, if you live on the 10th floor of an apartment also to leave the car running ,not a good idea in some area's.

You have a good point there Kevin, I live in W. Baltimore so it is assumed that I am armed and dangerous - correct - but some people might not be so 'fortunate'.

Note: Most people don't have to run centrifugal blowers across (4) floors to power their basic filtration and aeration; I do.

Hence: Buy an 'off the shelf' auto switch system (~$350.00-Smart Charger, Switch, minimal battery); add the deep cycle batteries that give you the run time that you need.

Even a $20.00 inverter attached to a car battery (sitting on your living room floor - ask Richard - can give someone with a couple of tanks enough air pump time to keep your fish alive.

Take home message: Do something!! If you (or anyone) has a question or twenty just PM me.

But: I am Not responsible for acts of God, etc.

Why? You might ask: We are God.