• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistogramma hongsloi!

Lively

Members
They aren't the best pics - and they did not care for the flash. The third girl kept in hiding, I couldn't get a pic of her. But here are the guys I won at the auction!

ApistoDSC_1844.jpg

ApistosGirlDSC_1845.jpg

ApistosGirlDSC_1850.jpg

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
The pictures won't win any awards but are better than I could do. That one female looks colored up already. You could have some serious action there quickly. Let's hope those girls don't wear your fella out.

George

iamzrad

Members
I was going to bid on these guys to add to my Apisto collection in my community tank, but somehow lost track of the auction and missed my chance.

Cool stuff Stacy!
*How much was the winning bid?

Lively

Members
$50 - glad you weren't in the running - it was tough enough with Marge wanting them, too! lol

Two of the gals are showing color and seem to have claimed caves. I need to redo the tank so there are more caves available to them.

I don't have the right lighting set up to take awesome shots, I've been spending all my money on fish lately... lol I've figured out how to bounce the onboard flash on the glass to get decent one. These were absolute quickies - didn't even remember to clean the glass lol. I love showing off my fish almost as much as I love keeping them.

toddnbecka

Members
Apisto's are great little fish, but I don't have suitable tap water for keeping them. After I get the basement situated and set up th R/O it will be different though.

Lively

Members
I've been working on getting a tank right for them for about 2 months! Luckily, my water is pretty decent except for it is hard, wood took care of that. I think it could be a bit more acidic for spawning but I'm going to wait and see for now.

Last edited:

toddnbecka

Members
It's more likely they'll spawn in softer water, pH isn't really an issue. That will drop over time as the biological activity in the tank breaks down the carbonates that buffer the pH. The mineral content in hard water can actually toughen the egg membranes too much for the fry to break out of. That's why neons and other SA tetras need soft water for spawning. I presume it would work the same way for cichlids.

Hi Apistogramma lover,

here is Heiko Bleher (a Apistogramma collector). Have a look at the beautiful A. hongsloi peter Guennel has breed by selection on my website under:
ttp://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=65

This is where you should(could) get to with this beauty. Give him also fine (white) sand...

all the very best,

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Lively

Members
Hi Heiko! I found your website awhile ago when researching apistosgramma's. I remember drooling over the A. hongsloi peter Guennel when I saw its picture - the color is incomparable! I didn't realize that you sold them, I didn't see a link on your pages for purchasing fish.

I prefer sand in all of my tanks for a couple of reasons, I like it for the look and ease of cleaning more than gravel and most importantly, it's what the cichlids like! Unfortunately, the tank I had available to put these beauties in was bare bottom when I brought them home - I didn't have time to put the sand in and allow to settle before putting the fish in.

I've read that feeding these guys a steady diet of cyclops maintains the awesome colors but haven't been able to find a source for live ones - any suggestions?

Lively

Members
Oh, toddnbecka - I meant to comment on your comment!

I have read that the lower pH helps with getting the fishies in the mood (and here I was thinking lowlights and some grovey mellow music would do the trick lol) I'm going to try some peat in the filter and see how that goes. I don't really want the blackwater look in this tank (I do like the look but understand it makes it harder to grow plants and I have a tough enough time with plants as it is) so I'll put carbon in the filter, too.

Jumbie

Members
I was biding on them along side with and another fellow but you both muscled me out early in the biding lol. They look great and from experience they will do a lot better if kept in softer water. Good luck! :D

Lively

Members
I was biding on them along side with and another fellow but you both muscled me out early in the biding lol. They look great and from experience they will do a lot better if kept in softer water. Good luck! :D

I'd say, "sorry" but I'd be lying! lol

Just got done staring at the tank, they are definately more comfortable now and hanging out in open area's. All three gals are showing some color, one is definately yellow!

marge618

CCA member
Glad the little beauties are settling in for you. Take more pics later on when the tank is established. I am looking forward to seeing the 'wee ones' as well.

Lively

Members
I spent a few minutes trying to catch this gal in a pic to show how darned yellow she is today! Stupid stem was in the way, otherwise I think it would have been a really good shot of her. Even her fins are super yellow!

ApistosDSC_1885.jpg