• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

another man made.....

emartin

Members
thats crazy. Sooooo how does the dye remain through adulthood? Youd think it would wear off.
I don't think it's a dye. It sounds like they did the same thing they did to Zebra Danios to cichlids.

Which is they put in the glow-in-the-dark/fluorescent genes jellyfish have into the cichlid fertilized eggs. (I think)

Those GloFish you see for sale, if you put them in a tank lit only by black light or actinic light they GLOW:
[yt]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpGdGTUuodw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpGdGTUuodw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/yt]

That doesn't bother me that much that they did that. It's disappointing, but it is NOT NEARLY as bad as Blood Parrot and Balloon Cichlid fish (they started injecting that hormone they use to make balloon goldfish into Victorian Cichlids (I've been seeing zebra obliquidens for sale ballooned at some local fish stores)).

In my opinion having glow in the dark fish is a great way to get little kids interested in fish keeping and hopefully they'll upgrade the real and natural fish when they are older and more experienced (in other words I'd rather see a little kid kill a tank full of the glofish/glocichlids than the real thing! LOL!)

emartin

Members
I think these may the Jellyfish species.

This was filmed (not by me) at the Ocean Park Jelly Fish aquarium in Hong Kong (in Kowloon I think).

They have lights on them that make them change color.

[yt]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wo8lxZx_yzo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wo8lxZx_yzo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/yt]

kaj41354

Members
don't think it's a dye. It sounds like they did the same thing they did to Zebra Danios to cichlids.

You got it right Ed. It is transgenic which basically means that they are carrying a gene that is not found in other examples of their species. It does not say where this gene came from but it does state that the offspring are breeding true. Very promising in the field of genetics research

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Cool, you can let your kids have a night light and get them hooked on the hobby in one shot. I can't get too upset but I do not see me having any.

I would love to have some as bait for night fishing though:lol:.

George

mrkillie

Members
Reminds me of a set of episodes from Star Trek: Enterprise that focused on augmenting the human genome. There will be consequences to these actions someday.

emartin

Members
Reminds me of a set of episodes from Star Trek: Enterprise that focused on augmenting the human genome. There will be consequences to these actions someday.
Spoken just like Ian Malcolm! (and that's a good thing)

I don;t think the CURRENT use of this (using it on fish) will have a big/bad consequence, but I do think they will take it too far some day. When does use of this technology STOP? When is it ethical to stop and not go further? Are they going to start doing this to mammals and make glow-in-the-dark-dogs or humans?

Just like in the fictional story of Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, it was a miracle they were able to clone and bring back to life some dinosaurs. But then they wanted the carnivores too...and we all know what happened in that movie...

emartin

Members
playing God to make a buck i wont have any in my tank
Don't we "play god" every time we visit a doctor? Get a vaccine? Save a trauma victim? Revive a deceased human or animal? (don't take it personally, I'm just trying to make a point)

I personally don't think the glofish thing going on is a evil thing, since all it is doing is getting little kids interested in fish keeping. Eventually they'll want to keep the cooler fish like we all keep (cichlids!). And the plus side, since they have the jellyfish gene they should glow under moonlight, meaning that if they ever do get introduced into the wild they should just be an easy meal for predators!

You can only appreciate glow-in-the-dark stuff and glowsticks for so long...

I do agree I won't be keeping any of them any time soon, but it is in my opinion no where near as wrong and disgusting as ballooned fish, blood parrots, tattooed and dyed fish, etc...

I'd much rather see these fish in the tanks of children than blood parrots, balloon goldfish and cichlids, etc... I'd also rather see a kid neglect/kill a tank full of glofish than a tank full of some real, natural fish!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
And the plus side, since they have the jellyfish gene they should glow under moonlight, meaning that if they ever do get introduced into the wild they should just be an easy meal for predators!
this was my only concern, especially with convicts the whole river could end up gloing (which could kind of look cool in an Avatar kind of way). But I think you've put my mind at ease.