• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Amazon Swords

mscichlid

Founder
Amazon swords are root feeders. They will need a rich substrate like Flourite. You could cover the Flourite with sand for the asthetic properties, but eventually the two will mix.

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders....they also need a good depth of substrate to expand if they are going to grow properly. While they would do better with a plant substrate I have had success in a sand substrate using plant tabs to supplement the plants nutrient intake. As long as the roots remained undisturbed you should see decent growth.....depending on lighting etc.

Thanks
Rob

SteelFist

Members
Thank you both! I have 2 Swords in about 3" of sand but I think I saw part of the roots peeking out on one of them this morning. I'd better make sure its fully buried huh?

As far as the lighting, I'm using a T5/HO 78 Watts in our new 30 gallon tank ffrom the auction.

No you do not want the rosette buried or it will stunt or stop the growth of new leaves.....delicate balance on those is to make sure that the fish are not eating the root system......another way to protect them is to use a flower pot and a gravel top at the base of the plants to keep them secured.....just have to balance that out with the look of the rest of the aquarium so more than likely you would need to build the sand up over the edge of the pot.

The lighting should be fine for the plants....

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not too off topic, but how do you keep 3" of sand clean? Most of the poop stays on top, but doesn't it get nasty after awhile?

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Feb 15 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not too off topic, but how do you keep 3" of sand clean? Most of the poop stays on top, but doesn't it get nasty after awhile?[/b]

The good bacteria build up in the lower levels of the sand, or gravel. Cleaning just the top and maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of the sand keeps it looking good. The final effect looks like layers of darker and darker sand the further you go down. That's why I think alot of people don't like white gravel (the layers don't look pretty to them). I saw an attachment for python that places a sock like filter on the end of the wand. This seems to make it possible to clean the tank without disturbing plant roots - or siphoning up fry. (I haven't used one yet and don't know of anyone that has.)

Later,
Marge