• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aequidens metae spawn

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I picked up this pair from Rapps a few months back. They spawned for the second time on Monday. Unfortunately, I can't remove the wood that the eggs are on and I can't remove the tankmates. I hope to be able to remove some fry if the pair do a good enough job of protecting the eggs.

20140124_191118_resized.jpg

20140124_191116_resized.jpg

20140124_191102_resized.jpg

20140124_191057_resized.jpg

neut

Members
Beauties.

What size are they and what are you keeping them with? I expect if they're diligent they should be able to protect eggs from a range of tankmates, other than bigger, nastier cichlids, maybe, or something like a good sized and determined pleco.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Oh hells yeah!

Those were the fish that caught my eye the other day!

Do you want a piece of eggcrate to put in there as sort of a block. It won't completely keep the other fish out, but will help them guard against sneak attacks or being overrun. You can pick up this afternoon if you'd like.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A. metae are great acaras. Males can get 7-8" but females tend to stay smaller.

They're on the more peaceful side of the spectrum but can hold their own with Geos, Sevs, etc.

I've had them breed but not successfully raised fry. Hopefully Andrew will have success!

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Oh hells yeah!

Those were the fish that caught my eye the other day!

Do you want a piece of eggcrate to put in there as sort of a block. It won't completely keep the other fish out, but will help them guard against sneak attacks or being overrun. You can pick up this afternoon if you'd like.

I could not make it over tonight, but thanks for the offer, Tony. I have egg crate that I can use, but I will have move around a lot of the wood in order to be able to divide the parents and eggs from the other fish. I am pretty sure that disruption will result in them eating the eggs.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Beauties.

What size are they and what are you keeping them with? I expect if they're diligent they should be able to protect eggs from a range of tankmates, other than bigger, nastier cichlids, maybe, or something like a good sized and determined pleco.

The male is about five inches. The female is about three and a half. They are in a 75 gallon. The other fish include a pair of rainbow cichlids, a pair of cutteri and some small bushynose plecos. It is the cutteri who stand the greatest chance of getting to the eggs. They constantly try to get the metae to relocate from the area where they spawned. However as of right now, the cutteri seem to be preoccupied with each other.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
what a beauty! peaceful?? not much info online...

Yeah, I found limited information on them when I bought them. I have a pair of aequidens diadema, so I figured the requirements would be similar. They never bother my other fish, but they happily consume plants. The anubias in with them is doing okay, but they ate the water sprite and have even chewed up a bit of the java fern.