• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aequidens metae spawn

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I picked up this pair from Rapps just this week. Today I found them guarding eggs. Should I leave the eggs with the parents until they hatch and then relocate the eggs to a breeder tank? Or should I relocate the eggs now? There are other cichlids and plecos in the tank with this pair.

20130406_131035_resized.jpg

20130406_131102_resized.jpg

20130406_131126_resized.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not too shabby

Yes. That is to say if 'twere me I'd away all to a safe haven, eggs and parents. Good chance that they won't even trip, especially if you move that accompanying piece of wood as well and orient it in the same way to the rock to help re-establish a familiar site.

Nice looking fish, congratulations on the spawn and an astute purchase.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great job!

Could you separate the pair from the rest of the fish in the tank with a divider / poret?

My pair has spawned a couple of times but didn't successfully raise the spawn with other fish in the tank... They've got their own tank now but I need to add a heater :)

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have three pieces of Poret in the tank. One is dividing the tank. The other two are separating the intakes of my FX5s from the water column, making large sponge filters.
I am thinking of removing on of these and using it as a divider for the metae. I will either have to cut the uplift tube of the FX5 to stop it from sucking in sand, or perhaps I can attach a sponge to the intake as a small prefilter.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It turns out that when I posted the pic, I thought they had finished laying. The had only just begun. There are hundreds of eggs. They ran out of room on the small piece of wood they chose. Now there are eggs on the sand as well.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Done. I have given the metae an enclosed space of roughly 25 gallons. I added the xl sponge filter that was running in this tank into their compartment for water flow. I used a prefilter for a mag drive 18 that I had laying around to replace the poret foam that was serving as a prefilter for the fx5.

I am hoping I can get some fry raised up. I will keep you posted.

Very cool Andrew!

If you guys do end up doing a box swap with MAS we want some fry! We don't have that species out here at all.

Andy

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Latest

Your adoring fans may require an update - it's OK, we're extremely loyal. :D

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Sadly, after dividing the pair from the other fish in the tank, they ate their eggs. I'm leaving them divided in hopes that they will soon spawn again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App