• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

advice on what kind of tank to do

JacobB89

Members
Getting a 120 gallon or bigger tank and not sure what kind of setup to do. Last tank I had was a 55gallon with Malawi cichlids yellow labs,bumble bee and such. So I want something with some color for sure just so many options. All male, haps, wilds and so on.

daninmd

Members
i would suggest you get a 125 (6 foot tank) before you get a 120 (4 foot tank). lot more options with the 6 footer when it comes to types of fish you can get and controlling aggression. you can pretty much do anything you want in a 6 foot tank (haps, mbuna, peacocks, tangs, etc).

verbal

CCA Members
I agree that a 6 foot tank will give you more options than a 4 foot even if it is 2 feet wide.

If you have the 4 foot tank already or it fits better, you still have some good options for that tank. You just want to focus on fish that top out at about 7" max and aren't terribly aggressive.

An All Male Malawi tank will give you a good amount of color. I would look at mainly Peacocks(no OB or jacobfregi), Copidachromis(no borleyi), Otopharynx and Placidochromis(phenochilus will get too big).

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pick out a species that you really like... and build around it. 150g, especially a 6' one, will give you plenty of options...

Matt

JacobB89

Members
the one space i would like to put in in a 4ft tank would work better but i make be able to do a 6 ft tank in another spot if i do decide to go with a 6 ft tank ill probably do 150-180 just gonna be little harder to get in down the basement lol.

I like the idea of a all male tank that gives me good color and do not have to worry about fry or anything like that. Then just add in some 1-2 catfish and a bristle nose. i have been looking at a few haps/peacocks already. If i go with that how many different species to go with and would multiples of the same or just 1 be better?

JacobB89

Members
for haps/peacock my favorite one would be Nimbochromis venustus then the rest i like follows there are more but seems this is a lot already so ill leave it like that for now any of these not good for what I want to do just say so.
sunshine Benga Peacock
Aulonocara Rubescens Ruby Red
Lwanda
German Red
electric blue Ahli
Red Empress
super VC10
tangerine tiger
Copadichromis azureus
Lemon Jake
yellow regal
Aulonocara kandeense Kande Island ''Blue Orchid''
blue regal
Aulonocara sp. ''Lwanda'' Hai Reef ''Red Top''
Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri'' Maleri Island

Last edited:

daninmd

Members
In a 6 ft 180 tank, I would aim for a total of 15-20 adult fish. Would start with more and weed out any overly aggressive ones. You want to overstock them.

JacobB89

Members
With that stock list you have some large fish. Definitely need a 6 foot tank.

In a 6 ft 180 tank, I would aim for a total of 15-20 adult fish. Would start with more and weed out any overly aggressive ones. You want to overstock them.

well as for that being a stock list really is not set in stone just posted some of the species I like. So far not many deals out there for a 180. I did find a 150 gallon for a decent deal.

Also after going to a LFS today they had a 180 with about 50 or so cichlids in there as a display tank had some haps peacocks and mbuna. Would that be practical in the long run as well. some smaller mbuna then a few haps/peacocks?

daninmd

Members
well as for that being a stock list really is not set in stone just posted some of the species I like. So far not many deals out there for a 180. I did find a 150 gallon for a decent deal.

Also after going to a LFS today they had a 180 with about 50 or so cichlids in there as a display tank had some haps peacocks and mbuna. Would that be practical in the long run as well. some smaller mbuna then a few haps/peacocks?

the main reason I said to go with a 6 foot tank was you mentioned you really wanted a venustus, which gets very large

Just a few thoughts:

the blue orchid peacock (and it's "sister" the maylandi) will not do well in an all male tank. They need to be in a colony set-up

If going with an all male peacock/hap tank, you should avoid more than one male from one species and avoid males that look similar. It's also wise to avoid the more aggressive peacocks, including those with unknown temperaments, such as the dragon blood and OBs.

you can add some of the milder mbuna to an all male peacock/hap tank. You do not need to worry about gender ratios for them, generally speaking. P. acei, rusties and labs are the "go to" species for this type of tank.

you could (and should!) do a nice colony of s. multipunctatus in this tank. They are fabulous! They need to be in a group and you'd have lots of room, so I'd say 6 or even more.

Be careful of adding a BN to this set-up. They can sometimes get abused, depending on how laid back your tank is.

Also, with all male tanks, you're likely to get bullies and fish that need to be pulled. (less likely, perhaps, in a larger tank, especially if well rocked). But you'll need a second QT/hospital tank IME when attempting such a stocking.

verbal

CCA Members
you could (and should!) do a nice colony of s. multipunctatus in this tank. They are fabulous! They need to be in a group and you'd have lots of room, so I'd say 6 or even more.

It is hard to have a colony in an all-male tank given their breeding strategy :)

However a group/school of either of the common synos(multipunctatus or lucipinis) is a great addition to most African Cichlid tanks.

JacobB89

Members
the main reason I said to go with a 6 foot tank was you mentioned you really wanted a venustus, which gets very large

Just a few thoughts:

the blue orchid peacock (and it's "sister" the maylandi) will not do well in an all male tank. They need to be in a colony set-up

If going with an all male peacock/hap tank, you should avoid more than one male from one species and avoid males that look similar. It's also wise to avoid the more aggressive peacocks, including those with unknown temperaments, such as the dragon blood and OBs.

you can add some of the milder mbuna to an all male peacock/hap tank. You do not need to worry about gender ratios for them, generally speaking. P. acei, rusties and labs are the "go to" species for this type of tank.

Be careful of adding a BN to this set-up. They can sometimes get abused, depending on how laid back your tank is.

Also, with all male tanks, you're likely to get bullies and fish that need to be pulled. (less likely, perhaps, in a larger tank, especially if well rocked). But you'll need a second QT/hospital tank IME when attempting such a stocking.

It is hard to have a colony in an all-male tank given their breeding strategy :)

However a group/school of either of the common synos(multipunctatus or lucipinis) is a great addition to most African Cichlid tanks.

sounds good ill take the ones you all mentioned off my list then. and yea i figured to get a 40 gallon tank to hold any aggressive fish out of the main tank and get rid of them if need be. Definitely have to have my venustus love those lol.

so its now all hap/peacock with few mild mbuna and either s. multipunctatus or common synos

or salt water depending on what tank I fine.

sorry for the mis-speak. I was using colony when I meant group . . . (although I've read that they now think multipunctatus might not always be a parastitic breeder, depending on the conditions)

AquaStudent

Members
Like others have said a 6' tank is much more versatile and would go much better than a 4' tank (especially with venestus).

I just had to rehome my venestus because he was getting too big for my 4' tank. I felt sorry for him :/

JacobB89

Members
Like others have said a 6' tank is much more versatile and would go much better than a 4' tank (especially with venestus).

I just had to rehome my venestus because he was getting too big for my 4' tank. I felt sorry for him :/

yea after a ton of people telling me that and then more saying make sure i get someone wide as well just to have the extra room i think its gonna be a 180 gallon. Now just to find that killer deal on craiglist lol. picked up a sweet wet/dry setup tonight for cheap.