• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Additional filtration for new 75 g overstocked cichlid tank?

I have never had a cichlid tank and just bought a 75 gallon to get things started. I would like to go overstocked with primarily mbunas for appearance and to cut aggression. I have a used Rena XP2 that is used (used to be for a sale tank but assume I can clean out well with hot water to reuse). Wondering what additional filtration I should have or need in addition? Probably another canister right, this way I can just run it inline after/before the Rena? How many power heads recommended for this size tank?

npbarca

Members
I'd put an Ac110 or Ac70, along with 2 canisters. Or you could do 2 Ac110s an the canister you have already.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If you went with a large canister like the fx5 or fx6, that would be all you need. You could also do two mattenfilters as another option. If you go that route I'd run them with a powerhead, as opposed to air.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have had good success with one canister and two AC110. Good surface exchange. And an air stone never hurts.