• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A seriously bad day...

Travis

Members
I filled the 125 gallon I got off craigslist and within 24 hours it cracked. I was standing in same room as the tank and heard a POP. I looked at the tank and saw a giant U shaped crack. So, that was a big waste of time and money...

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Spine

Members
Have you thought about patching it with a piece of glass glued to the inside of the tank. I guess I need to add a disclaimer, I would only try it if the tank was in a basement.
I cant tell from the picture if that's a back ground or the glass is painted. I was thinking you patch it and make that the backside of the tank.

Another alternative would be to buy a new sheet of glass. I don't know if that's cost effective or if you have the time or even want to try such a thing.

I'm thinking that a crack like that was probably from something getting dropped on the rim. Have you tried contacting the seller,anything is worth a try at this point.

If you decide that it's a lost cause for repairing it, remember that people that keep reptiles are always looking for tanks too and they don't care whether it's cracked so you could probably get back what you paid for it.:D

Travis

Members
I appreciate the patch type suggestions, but the back is painted (more time spent) and I don't want to risk 125 gallons of water on the floor -- this was close enough to disaster.

I did contact the guy who sold me the tank, he lists a lot of tanks on craigslist and it is apparently a hobby of his to find tanks and sell them. He claims it is a freak accident and there is nothing he can or is willing to do to reconcile the situation.

hydrodmg

Members
i am supposed to be getting a cracked 125 the bottom is cracked and i only need the one side if you want to put the labor in to it i would have the front panel for you and i have seen tanks crack from an extreme temp change in my own house

F8LBITE

Members
Wow that sucks dude. Since you already have the stand I would just go and buy a new one. I buy all my big tanks new for this very reason. Even just getting it home you stress the seals on a tank and who knows how old it really is. Good luck man

MonteSS

Members
Well that sucks.

Is that a "real" center support, or a piece of plywood? Hard to tell from pics.

...Bill

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Yeah, sucks.

I had a couple things like that happen way back before the fish room.
When I built the fishroom i had several people offer tanks but I bought all new so there would be no problems. Or less problems.
I have trust issues.

Travis

Members
I woke up for work this morning at 6:30 to find 2 dead Ectodus descampsii and the rest of the fish laboring! So I spent my morning doing a 50% water change and cranking the surface agitation...

YSS

Members
That's too bad. I wonder if the seller is the guy we all know in the forum to avoid..... Anyhow, it looks like the crack is about 2 inches from the top. If you don't mind, I think you can just filled the tank up to where crack is and you should be ok. But I guess you won't know for sure. By the way, is your tank cycled?

Travis

Members
The crack goes down about 6-8''. The tank they were/are in has been cycled since May 2010.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sorry to hear about the crack!

Big tanks can be delicate... I'm OK to buy used but I do my best to use a thick piece of styro underneath to ensure that everything's level...and fill slowly the first time...

It's really not fair to blame the seller (and I don't know him/her)... used tanks are used tanks and unless there was some kind of misrepresentation in the sale, there are untold factors that could occur after the sale that are out of his/her control (same with fish by the way). The most I'd ever expect is for the seller to give you a deal on another tank (if he/she) has one to sell...

Good luck,
Matt

Travis

Members
Well I went ahead and bought a new 125g. I still have the cracked one if anyone is interested...? If not its going to the dump.