• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

40 Gallon Breeder help? New member!

Kavin2845

Members
Hey guys I'm new here !!
So I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and had African cichlids and was wondering what fish I can keep in there beacause Africans are really boring so I want a predatory fish that I can keep and that kinda active and attractive! I hope this site helps out !!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
What African cichlids did you keep? I haven't heard many describe African cichlids as boring. Did you get them to adult size?

If could go a little bigger, there are a lot of predators that will work in a 75 or 120. The thing about predators is that a lot of them are not very active when they are not eating.

The first fish that might meet what you are looking for is a salvini. They are pretty fish, but very mean. One in a 40 would be a good mini-"glass banger". A Jack Dempsey could work also, but may not be as aggressive or predatory.

Greengirl

Members
Try a leparinus. They are also very mean and fast swimmers. They look like sharks with gold and black strips and clear fins. Very pretty to look at and strong enough to not get bullied africans. They will bully back.

verbal

CCA Members
Try a leparinus. They are also very mean and fast swimmers. They look like sharks with gold and black strips and clear fins. Very pretty to look at and strong enough to not get bullied africans. They will bully back.

They are a cool fish, but I think those get a little large for a 40 breeder. Especially since I think they do best in groups.

Rasta Fish

Members
African Cichlids are boring?
what exactly are you expecting your fish to do?
Predators aren't really active they are more stealth slow moving fish, i think ..
except snake head,pikes, peacock bass, but your size tank wont do
a group of smaller types piranha throw some guppies or small feeder fish will get some action

I get turned off by posters who want predatory fish for the action. I dunno, it creeps me out.

There are lots of cichlids that exhibit really interesting breeding and parenting behavior that is much more interesting than finding something that's going to kick the snot out of another fish.

Harleyrider5

Members
Hey kavin
I do agree with you that in my experience. African cichlids are boring, flashy is about it. You can keep aggressive cichlids in the breeder for a little while before you will need to upgrade to a larger tank as they grow . If its action your looking for exodons might be just what your looking for. They aren't a cichlid, they are in the tetra family. Very entertaining at feeding time.

Kavin2845

Members
Lol, I have nothing against African Cichlids there all full grown eating well and have beautiful colors its just that there not like interactive that's what I meant there cool and have nice behavior just after a while its just the same old same old there's not much interaction lol there very beautiful but not much interaction.
I've tried to get Exedons but my lfs store owner hates them so he doesn't stock them and I'll looks into jacks

Kavin2845

Members
I get turned off by posters who want predatory fish for the action. I dunno, it creeps me out.

There are lots of cichlids that exhibit really interesting breeding and parenting behavior that is much more interesting than finding something that's going to kick the snot out of another fish.

Lol I don't feed live I always feed dead/frozen its not the death I like its the strike just amazes me